Sign in with
Your question

Wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 17, 2010 9:51:43 AM

Hello,
I want to connect computer to tv and blu-ray player. I am looking at Linksy wrt 610n for router, from there I am confused about what I need wet 610n or wap 610n if I go with wet I need a switch.Will switch be good with n? Connect to tv and player with ethernet.

More about : wireless network

Anonymous
February 17, 2010 9:54:32 AM

Use a WET610N with a switch.
m
l
February 17, 2010 10:05:54 AM

Quote:
Use a WET610N with a switch.

Do I need a special switch?
m
l
February 17, 2010 1:46:40 PM

OP, let's slow down a bit and determine what makes sense.

It sounds like you haven't selected a router as yet (you said you’re “looking at…”). Based on your selection of the WRT610N, that's a pretty high end ($$$) router for someone who doesn't know whether to use an AP (WAP610N) vs. a bridge (WET610N). Don't get me wrong, those are beautiful pieces of equipment (simultaneous dual band, Gigabit (1000mbps) switch, USB port, etc., and a hefty price tag to match), but are you SURE you need all that? I’m a software developer by trade, decades of experience, run several PCs, servers, DVRs, TiVo’s, internet radios, VOIP adapter, NAS, yada yada, and even *I* don’t have a need for anything that fancy. I just want to be sure you don’t waste your money on things you don’t need. For most ppl, a simple single-stream N router for $30-40 is plenty. And to make matters worse, you’re considering equally high-end APs and bridges as optional equipment.

Again, that’s fine, esp. if money is no object, but I just want to be sure you’re not getting raked over the coals by some salesman at WorstBuy or somethin’.

Anyway, assuming you get your router, saying you “want to connect computer to tv and blu-ray player” is a bit vague. Are you trying to output your computer screen to the TV? Are you trying to stream content from the PC to the blu-ray player which is connected to the TV? Just saying you want to CONNECT things is insufficient information.

But I’ll make some assumptions to move the ball forward.

If you want to stream content from your computer to your blu-ray player for output to the TV, the blu-ray player needs a network connection, either wired or wireless. Wired is always preferred. But if wire is impractical, use wireless. If the blu-ray player doesn’t support wireless, THEN you could consider using a wireless Ethernet bridge (WET610N). A wireless Ethernet bridge allows you to convert a wired device to wireless by pushing the wireless “conversion” out to the bridge itself (the blu-ray player in this example believes it’s still connected via wire, the bridge just acts a wireless client on its behalf):

[wireless router]<--wireless-->[wireless Ethernet bridge]<--wire-->[blu-ray player]

But again, the blu-ray player minimally needs an Ethernet (RJ45) port.

If you used the WET610N (which only has a single RJ45 port), you could patch a switch to that device if you needed to support more than one wired device. Note that some makes/models of wireless Ethernet bridges come w/ an integrated switch making a separate purchase unnecessary.

An alternative to wireless bridging is powerline. Sometimes wireless is problematic (maybe you have a wireless deadspot, weak signal, interference, etc.). In that case, you could consider using your home wiring as the bridging mechanism rather than wireless.

[wireless router]<--wire-->[powerline adapter #1](ac outlet)<--power lines-->(ac outlet)[powerline adapter #2]<--wire-->[blu-ray player]

Like wireless, powerline isn’t without its issues. Sometimes your particular home wiring won’t allow a connection between devices because they’re on different circuits. Or maybe the performance isn’t good enough (it varies widely). But it’s good to know it’s an option in case you have problems w/ wireless.

The point is, without a lot more details about what you want to achieve, it’s hard to say just get this or that equipment. There are a lot of options, some of which can save you a LOT of money, some that will work far better under certain circumstances. The more details you provide (what you want to achieve, make/model of components you already have, etc.), the better the solutions that can be offered.

m
l
Related resources
!