Solved

New build having issues

My build:

ASRock x58 extreme Mobo
Intel core i7 930
Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600
ATI Radeon 5870

My motherboard will only POST correctly and boot when I have one stick of RAM in the first slot. When I have all three sticks of RAM in, I get post code 6A which isn't specified in the manual or online what it is. However, When I only have two sticks of RAM in the first two slots, I get post code "38" which means "Initializes different devices through DIM," According to the mobo manual. I don't have any idea what that means. I've tested all my sticks of RAM in slot one to ensure they are all working.

I googled the problem and only found one person who had the same problem; they said they were able to fix it by downgrading their BIOS to an earlier version. I've downloaded the early version of BIOS from the ASRock website, but when I put it on a flash drive or burn it to a CD, it isn't recognized as a bootable drive/disk. I don't have a floppy drive.

Any ideas on what I should do?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build issues
  1. Best answer
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Toms' hardware forum.

Your flash drive needs be booteable. Also, contact with the ASRock support, they can guide you for a quick reply and maybe fix your problem.
  2. I downloaded a program that made the thumb drive bootable, downgraded my BIOS and now everything is working fine.
  3. Best answer selected by morgan642.
  4. Good. Enjoy your right. If you have another question, feel free to ask.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets RAM Motherboards