New build having issues

Last response: in Motherboards
April 3, 2010 7:49:36 PM

My build:

ASRock x58 extreme Mobo
Intel core i7 930
Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600
ATI Radeon 5870

My motherboard will only POST correctly and boot when I have one stick of RAM in the first slot. When I have all three sticks of RAM in, I get post code 6A which isn't specified in the manual or online what it is. However, When I only have two sticks of RAM in the first two slots, I get post code "38" which means "Initializes different devices through DIM," According to the mobo manual. I don't have any idea what that means. I've tested all my sticks of RAM in slot one to ensure they are all working.

I googled the problem and only found one person who had the same problem; they said they were able to fix it by downgrading their BIOS to an earlier version. I've downloaded the early version of BIOS from the ASRock website, but when I put it on a flash drive or burn it to a CD, it isn't recognized as a bootable drive/disk. I don't have a floppy drive.

Any ideas on what I should do?

More about : build issues

Best solution

a c 295 V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 8:14:36 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Toms' hardware forum.

Your flash drive needs be booteable. Also, contact with the ASRock support, they can guide you for a quick reply and maybe fix your problem.
April 3, 2010 9:01:16 PM

I downloaded a program that made the thumb drive bootable, downgraded my BIOS and now everything is working fine.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2010 9:01:52 PM

Best answer selected by morgan642.
m
l
a c 295 V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 11:25:05 PM

Good. Enjoy your right. If you have another question, feel free to ask.
m
l
!