Sign in with
Your question

Major GPU/Cooling overhaul, thoughts/ideas?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2012 2:51:32 PM

*waves* :hello: 
Hello all, I have been feeling rather daft as of late, as I cannot seem to place an order without asking for criticism from the community and have been putting off any sort of major upgrades. But now, with the arrival of AMD's 79xx series, I feel the time is right.

I was wondering how I should approach a single 7970 water-cooling setup as I've only ever had experience with complete water-cooling kits (XSPC Rasa 750 RS240's). I currently have an XSPC kit, which includes a perfectly good res/pump, a badly oxidized rasa block and a thin RS240 radiator. I was planning on upgrading my CPU block, Radiator(s), GPU/GPU block & adding an additional pump (as well as a few extras, such as fluids, etc.).

Relevant parts (current):
CPU: i5 2500k (5GHz)
CPU Cooling: XSPC Rasa 750 RS240
Fans: (x3) Gelid Wing 12 UV Blue
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
GPU: Asus GTX560TI DCU2
Case: Corsair 650D

Parts I'm looking at getting at:
CPU Block: EK-Supreme HF - Full EN (Nickel)
GPU: Asus HD7970-DC2T-3GD5
GPU Block: EK-FC7970 Full Cover Block (http://tinyurl.com/asus7970waterblock)
Radiator1: EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240mm [Top of Case])
Radiator2: Phobya Xtreme (200mm [Front of case])
Pump: EK-DCP 4.0
Extras: Tubing/Fittings/Fluids
Total: ~$1150 :sweat: 

This is my initial idea for the loop; http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7743/corsairobsidian...
Any thoughts? Ideas? How can I make the loop better? Will a 200mm radiator fit in the front of a Corsair 650D w/o any modification? etc.

Thanks for helping,
intel1502 :) 
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 9:24:37 PM

1) You don't need to upgrade all those components if you don't want to.
2) Clean the oxidized block- it's easy. Disassemble, coat with ketchup, allow to soak, brush with a soft bristled toothbrush. Rinse and repeat as necessary.
3) Just add another radiator to your loop. Another 240 or that 200 would be a nice addition. Or you could go with a thick 360 rad and only run a single rad. Either way, you'll need more rad space.
4) You don't need another pump unless you want to spend the money.
5) You don't need another CPU block unless you want to spend the money.

GPU block and GPU, well, you're going to be stuck here...just make sure you confirm compatibility and you'll be fine. You'll want to replace your tubing, just make sure its all the correct ID size. You can go with barbs all the way around a lot cheaper than compression fittings. I think the Rasa kit originally uses 7/16" ID tubing/fittings, but you could upgrade all fittings to any size you wanted. Again, just make sure tubing ID and fitting ID are correctly matched.

If you subtract the pump, CPU block, extra radiator you didn't need...you just saved around $250-$300.

Keep the Rasa pump unless you don't like it. The Rasa block is very good and flows very well. The RS 240 rad is good for it's size and cost...just keep it and add to it. The beef of your upgrade should be your GPU and block and the extra rad. Tubing an other essentials are pretty minimal.
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:45:38 PM

rubix_1011 said:
1) You don't need to upgrade all those components if you don't want to.
2) Clean the oxidized block- it's easy. Disassemble, coat with ketchup, allow to soak, brush with a soft bristled toothbrush. Rinse and repeat as necessary.
3) Just add another radiator to your loop. Another 240 or that 200 would be a nice addition. Or you could go with a thick 360 rad and only run a single rad. Either way, you'll need more rad space.
4) You don't need another pump unless you want to spend the money.
5) You don't need another CPU block unless you want to spend the money.

GPU block and GPU, well, you're going to be stuck here...just make sure you confirm compatibility and you'll be fine. You'll want to replace your tubing, just make sure its all the correct ID size. You can go with barbs all the way around a lot cheaper than compression fittings. I think the Rasa kit originally uses 7/16" ID tubing/fittings, but you could upgrade all fittings to any size you wanted. Again, just make sure tubing ID and fitting ID are correctly matched.

If you subtract the pump, CPU block, extra radiator you didn't need...you just saved around $250-$300.

Keep the Rasa pump unless you don't like it. The Rasa block is very good and flows very well. The RS 240 rad is good for it's size and cost...just keep it and add to it. The beef of your upgrade should be your GPU and block and the extra rad. Tubing an other essentials are pretty minimal.

1) ..Oka-ay? I do want to, that's why I'm posting here.

2) I've already exhausted my means in refurbishing the block, it would need to be cut/flattened in order to remove the extent of damage done to it.

3) *JUST* another radiator, are you kidding? first of all, the limitations of my case are ONE 200mm radiator and ONE 240mm radiator; that's it. I plan on purchasing TWO new radiators, one 240mm for the top and one 200mm for the front. Also, a thick 360 radiator? I'd love to, but where on earth would I put it?! It seems that the 240mm/200mm setup would be best, if only viable option.

4) I've heard that the XSPC res/pump is very weak and would struggle forcing liquid through two rads, two blocks and back again.

5) You're just reiterating your second point; I need a new block, it is badly damaged. It lacks the cooling properties I come to expect in my base rig...
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 29, 2012 5:08:00 PM

Can you post a pic of the damage you are speaking about on the CPU block? Blocks don't really get damaged unless you are running mixed metals or actually do physical damage during install or while handling. I'm going to maintain my stance on the CPU block that it can be cleaned and work just fine. In fact, the block doesn't have to be cleaned- oxidation happens naturally and doesn't impact performance, only looks.

Quote:
2) I've already exhausted my means in refurbishing the block, it would need to be cut/flattened in order to remove the extent of damage done to it.

Do you mean lapping? Otherwise, I'm not sure exactly what kind of damage you are looking at here, but it's very likely is only cosmetic.

Quote:
3) *JUST* another radiator, are you kidding? first of all, the limitations of my case are ONE 200mm radiator and ONE 240mm radiator; that's it. I plan on purchasing TWO new radiators, one 240mm for the top and one 200mm for the front. Also, a thick 360 radiator? I'd love to, but where on earth would I put it?! It seems that the 240mm/200mm setup would be best, if only viable option.

No, I'm not kidding. At all. One single bit. You aren't listening to what I'm saying here. If you want to buy a bunch of watercooling gear to replace what you have, that's fine, but you mentioned wanting to drop the overall budget...so please slow down and pay attention.

KEEP the RS240 you have (there isn't a reason to get rid of it unless you just want to buy something else) and then JUST ADD THE 200mm rad. Again, the 360 would be an alternative radiator than you had planned...so you must simply be skimming my recommendations. Again, slow down and take in what is being suggested.

The X20 pump isn't the most fantastic, but it isn't all that bad, either. There are a lot of people that run a setup like this with an expansion of a Rasa kit. Plus, the pump you linked really isn't that great of a replacement, so you are getting poor information on the Rasa pump being that bad, and you are using poor knowledge to choose a poor pump for replacement.

Quote:
5) You're just reiterating your second point; I need a new block, it is badly damaged. It lacks the cooling properties I come to expect in my base rig...

I am going to reiterate my second point again, to make yet another point. The Rasa block is very good on that chip. Please post pics of the damage you are speaking to so we can determine what it is and possible solutions. By switching CPU blocks you aren't going to see substantial cooling differences. Oxidation of a block IS NOT DAMAGE. Oxidation does not cause poor performance.

What is the performance difference you believe you are seeing due to oxidation? Please post ambient temps, idle and load temps.
m
l
!