Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drives and windows logins

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2011 10:29:42 PM

I recently bought two hard drives to add to my PC. Bought these for my gf who uses my pc as a recording studio. I want to be able to set these up so when she log into her windows login she would be the only one able to read and write onto these hard drives, meaning if i log onto my account I wont be able to save anything onto them.Not sure if i'm being clear enough on what i'm trying to achieve tell me if i'm not, thanks guys. :) 

Best solution

a c 124 G Storage
August 24, 2011 11:01:11 PM

Your request is quite clear.

Normally, anyone who logs into a Windows User Account will be able to save files to any hard disk that is connected to the PC. If the directory is password protected (normally not a good idea) then only users who have the password can retrieve the files.

In your case, you might want to consider a 2 TB external drive for the exclusive use of your GF. She can plug in the USB or eSATA cable to this external drive when she is using the computer.
a b G Storage
August 25, 2011 12:20:26 AM

You shouldn’t rely on the Windows logon password to protect your security, I could break it and view the files in only a few minutes. If you have files that you don’t want your partner to see then the best way to protect them is to encrypt them.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2011 1:00:36 AM

pjmelect said:
You shouldn’t rely on the Windows logon password to protect your security, I could break it and view the files in only a few minutes. If you have files that you don’t want your partner to see then the best way to protect them is to encrypt them.

Its not that i don't want to see what my partner is doing or vica versa, just that having a recording studio pc is kind of delicate and i don't want to mistakenly save stuff to her hard drives or if any one uses my account to be messing with her stuff.
m
l
a c 124 G Storage
August 25, 2011 1:02:12 AM

On the root directory, you can create a folder with your GF's name on it. This will help in deterring you from saving files to her directory (folder).
m
l
August 25, 2011 1:17:02 AM

Best answer selected by silverkripto.
m
l
a c 124 G Storage
August 25, 2011 1:27:05 AM

Thank you!
m
l
!