Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What video card to get for my husband?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2009 8:09:39 PM

I'm not a gamer but my husband is. He spends all of his free time at his desk. So I want to surprise him with a great graphics card for Christmas which doesn't sound like a turbo jet engine. He bought the GeForce 8800 GTX 3 years ago and it crashed about a month ago. He has a $99 one that's not as great but still sound like an air force base. Could you help recommend me at least 3 that would....
1. Be a great present to him
2. Make minimal sound
3. Does not burn a giant hold in my purse.
Thanks.

More about : video card husband

a c 194 U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 8:24:15 PM

Do you know what resolution he tends to play at? If not, how large is the monitor? We can figure out the resolution from that. Whats your budget for this?

HD5770s perform well, and run cool, and will cost between 160 and 175, it will also be compatible with games for many years to come
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
HD5850s perform even better, on par with a GTX285 which tends to run around $300, they will cost you between 260 and 290 depending on which ones are in stock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 8:25:16 PM

what is your budget?
Related resources
October 25, 2009 8:45:44 PM

Wow, you guys are quick! Well, I think I want to stay within the range of $200-$300, if possible but I guess I can tighten the belt a littke if it's a good one.

I think he has a LG Flattron Wide 22" monitor which the website said it have a 1680 x 1050 resolution.

I thought the higher the model number, the better the performance/quality the product. Is this not true for graphic cards?
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 8:51:31 PM

the ati 5770 will do perfectly
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 8:57:21 PM

While an HD 5770 ($159-174) will be fine, I think an HD 5850 ($259-279) would be the sweet spot. I'd be happy if I got a 5770, but I think I'd be gleaming if I got a 5850. Especially since he's used to higher-end judging by when he got his 8800 GTX. Since he's a gamer, he may upgrade in the future, and I think the 5850 offers a better upgrade path. When prices come down, he can add another card and it'll last him a good while longer assuming he has a CrossFire capable motherboard, if not, the 5850's performance is good regardless. The 5770 doesn't really add much room if he wants to increase his resolution/monitor size.
October 25, 2009 9:02:25 PM

He will be happier with a ati 5850, and it will last him allot longer, but it will push your budget.

October 25, 2009 9:03:14 PM

Ok, so I don't know what type of motherboard he has since he built the box himself and have it shipped here and the only thing I know is that the cooling fan is extremely loud and I sit across from his pc and it feels like I'm sitting across from the air vents cause I get blasted from that thing. How can I tell (My Computer properties?) without physically trying to open his box?
October 25, 2009 9:06:56 PM

What a gift...I wish my girlfriend comes up with ideas like that...If you can spare it, get him the 5850, but I bet if a 5770 suits your purse better he would be very happy with that one too.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 9:07:13 PM

if its 3 yrs old with a 8800gtx it should have a pci x16 slot
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 9:07:59 PM

i would also think the 5850 price will drop a bit before xmas
October 25, 2009 9:11:12 PM

Well, I really don't like him playing so much but he doesn't ask for much in the material sense so it's the least I can do for him. :) 

Thanks everyone for your help! It sounds like the ATI5850 sounds like the card for him.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 9:15:37 PM

Flowergemw said:
Ok, so I don't know what type of motherboard he has since he built the box himself and have it shipped here and the only thing I know is that the cooling fan is extremely loud and I sit across from his pc and it feels like I'm sitting across from the air vents cause I get blasted from that thing. How can I tell (My Computer properties?) without physically trying to open his box?

Well, the easiest way to tell is downloading a small program called CPU-Z which can be used without a formal install out of the download folder. After you get the name of the motherboard (which is in the motherboard tab in the program, coincidentally) you can delete the file and empty the recycle bin and no one should know the difference. Really though, it's not necessary to know. An HD 5870 is a little overkill for that resolution, and either an HD 5770 or HD 5850 is a big enough upgrade to not have to worry about it having CrossFire support.

I'd say on the low-end: either the ATi HD 5770, HD 4890, or NVidia GTX 260 216SP.
On the high-end: the ATi HD 5850.

Whatever your budget appeals to will guide the way. They're all very good upgrade options and your husband will be happy with any of them I am sure. They will all be more power efficient and more quiet as well, which will make you happy. Also, you can manually turn down any fan on the computer (including the GPU fan) when not needed! Maybe he just likes everything well ventilated? :p 
October 25, 2009 9:23:35 PM

brockh said:
Well, the easiest way to tell is downloading a small program called CPU-Z which can be used without a formal install out of the download folder. After you get the name of the motherboard (which is in the motherboard tab in the program, coincidentally) you can delete the file and empty the recycle bin and no one should know the difference. Really though, it's not necessary to know. An HD 5870 is a little overkill for that resolution, and either an HD 5770 or HD 5850 is a big enough upgrade to not have to worry about it having CrossFire support.

I'd say on the low-end: either the ATi HD 5770, HD 4890, or NVidia GTX 260 216SP.
On the high-end: the ATi HD 5850.

Whatever your budget appeals to will guide the way. They're all very good upgrade options and your husband will be happy with any of them I am sure. They will all be more power efficient and more quiet as well, which will make you happy. Also, you can manually turn down any fan on the computer (including the GPU fan) when not needed! Maybe he just likes everything well ventilated? :p 

I'm sure she's going to want the graphics card to last a few years, so a dx11 card with tessellation etc is the only way to go. ie 5770 or 5850.

FlowerGem rest assured the 5850 is the card to get, and would probably be the one HE would choose.
October 25, 2009 9:39:56 PM

ati 5770 without question... just for comparision. my 4770 is silent, so silent that i don't notice that my pc is on
October 25, 2009 10:44:58 PM

i'd say 5770, because its a little cheaper than the 5850 and performs really good.

i would have said 5850 but its availability is down in the dumps.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2009 10:59:06 PM

perhaps if the noise is what's getting to you, instead of popping the $260 for a 5850, just go for a 5770 and use some of the extra money on some quieter fans and/or a CPU fan. I went from a stock fan to a Hyper 212 Plus and the difference was night and day. A great investment of $30. Perhaps a new case with mounts for larger, quieter case fans. Antec 900 occasionally goes on sale for $70 here and there. Or maybe a fanbus so he can turn the fans down a little to lower the noise when he's not gaming.
October 26, 2009 12:42:16 AM

5850 at around 269$. The best performance you can get for that price.
October 26, 2009 12:44:52 AM

5770 is by far not really impressive. For 80$ more, you get a graphic card 2 times stronger. The 5850 is the best card for the money in the high end market right now.
October 26, 2009 12:51:16 AM

For gaming I'd have to recommend the 5850. Although you'd be hard pressed to find one in stock at the moment.

The 5770 would offer an adequate performance boost as well though, was his 8800gtx satisfactory for his needs? Or was it time to upgrade regardless?

You're a very thoughtful person. :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2009 12:56:43 AM

redgarl said:
5770 is by far not really impressive. For 80$ more, you get a graphic card 2 times stronger. The 5850 is the best card for the money in the high end market right now.

It's true, the aged 4870 (~$140) actually outperforms the 5770 (~$160) due to the 5770's crippled memory interface.

As many have said, your best bet is the 5850.
October 26, 2009 1:48:45 AM

ominous prime said:
For gaming I'd have to recommend the 5850. Although you'd be hard pressed to find one in stock at the moment.

The 5770 would offer an adequate performance boost as well though, was his 8800gtx satisfactory for his needs? Or was it time to upgrade regardless?

You're a very thoughtful person. :) 

To answer your question about the geForce 8800 GTX, I think he did like it cause he didn't ask for his annual upgrade and used it for the past 3 years. :) 

He would normally start complaining or make up excuses about something if he wants an upgrade. :)  He doesn't drink, smoke, or gamble. So I count myself lucky. Only thing is, I would love for him to balance his free time with me and our two girls.
October 26, 2009 2:02:23 AM

I went on Amazon.com and did a search on ATI HD5850 and found 3 hits:
Diamond ATI Radeon HD5850 PCIE 1024 MB GDDR5 Video Card 5850PE51G by Diamond $289.99
Visiontek Radeon HD5850 1 GB PCI Express Card 900297 by VisionTek $259.99
PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 PCIe Graphic Card AX5850 1GBD5-MDH by PowerColor $269.99

You guys have been very helpful in advising me to get the 5850 but I don't know which one you are specifically talking about. Any assistance would be greatly accepted.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 26, 2009 2:08:39 AM

Avoid Diamond as their customer service is not so hot, apparently.
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2009 3:02:46 AM

The VisionTek one will be fine. They're all the same card at this point, just variances in warranties/customer service.
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2009 3:11:52 AM

brockh said:
The VisionTek one will be fine. They're all the same card at this point, just variances in warranties/customer service.

The VisionTek one is also the only one that offers a lifetime warranty, so if it dies, as long as you still own it, you can send it in to get fixed or replaced.
October 26, 2009 3:35:11 AM

The 5850's out now are all reference cards, so they're identical. Only difference is the company selling them and of course the warranty. Out of the three you've found on Amazon. I'd go VisionTek like Pepperman said, for the warranty. And I had meant they're almost constantly out of stock.

A 5770 would most likely suit his needs, but a 5850 will go a greater length in terms of future proofing his system, and will provide a better experience as games become more and more demanding.
October 26, 2009 5:35:32 AM

wow ur the best wife ever, where can i find girls like u?
October 27, 2009 2:01:25 AM

LOL trust me, I don't come cheap either. I like expensive gadgets and nice cars.
October 27, 2009 2:21:56 AM

Flowergemw said:
LOL trust me, I don't come cheap either. I like expensive gadgets and nice cars.

lol, I think we all like nice things. :p 
October 27, 2009 5:44:43 AM

+1 5770 + me
October 27, 2009 11:32:49 AM

yeah, a 5770 should be fine. And, if down the line he feels its inadequate, he can always get another and sue the two together.

However, if you're feeling particularly rich / affectionate towards him, and want to cover his gaming needs for longer, get the 5850.

PS - there's also the issue of 5770 being available easily vs the 5850 not being available. however, if you're getting this for Christmas, that problem should be solved by then.
October 28, 2009 3:26:19 AM

When are they going to be re-stocking the 5850's...cant find one anywhere :(  Does anyone know? Getting tired of waiting...about to go with 5770 if it's much longer.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2009 7:46:00 AM

Wow, sure are alot of ati lovers in here...can't say I blame you.

Lets look at the facts though.

The guy is obviously an nvidia guy. Knowing how loyal we all are to our own brands it only seems wise for hey to buy this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2009 7:52:03 AM

Quote:
Wow, sure are alot of ati lovers in here...can't say I blame you.

Lets look at the facts though.

The guy is obviously an nvidia guy. Knowing how loyal we all are to our own brands it only seems wise for hey to buy this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Jesus. So you are recommending a card that is slower than the 5850, that doesn't have Dx11 capability, lower power consumption just because you like nVidia. Nice logic. :heink:  BTW, most people here are NOT ATI fanboys. Most people here think with their heads not their #####.
October 28, 2009 11:45:44 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
Jesus. So you are recommending a card that is slower than the 5850, that doesn't have Dx11 capability, lower power consumption just because you like nVidia. Nice logic. :heink:  BTW, most people here are NOT ATI fanboys. Most people here think with their heads not their #####.

+1. It's not that we LOVE ATI, it's that they have the BEST cards on the market right now. And Nvidia doesn't have their dx11 cards out, and won't for months. When the GT300 series comes, it will more than likely be the best cards then, and you will probably see recommendations for those if the price/performance is good. There's no fanboyism here, except your own BrownB.
October 28, 2009 12:12:18 PM

look, she just wants to get a new card for her husband. ATI have the BEST cards out AT THE MOMENT just like prime said. She doesnt want to spend stupid amounts of money either. WHEN Nvidia release their new cards they will EXPECT people to spend stupid amounts of money on them. Thats the way that company works, deny it if you want but this has nothing to do with "fanboy" opinions. The 5850 is probably the best buy at the moment due to DX11 and the fact that the power consumtion has been reduced aswell as outstanding performance and bang for buck. "Nvidia guy", dont make me laugh. Please dont turn this into a "fanboy" war because that will just confuse flowergemw.

Just go with the ATI 5850 love.
he will be more than greatful and it will also be lighter on your wallet and his, since he wont have to upgrade for a few years.

Dont bother flaming me im just talking sense.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2009 7:47:46 PM

Oh, how defensive.
October 29, 2009 8:37:32 AM

Well lets here your say.

Is there any logic in buying a last gen card when ATI have the next gen out before chirstmas. You seem to forget, its supposed to be a chirstmas gift. I DO understand that he may be an Nvidia guy but if it is supposed to be a suprise then theres no way she can ask him "what do you prefer? Nvidia or ATI?" and have him not suspect anything. The NEW 58xx series are very powerful cards for a great price. Debate if you wish but what would you do if you were in her situation?

Get a last gen card for around £200 or get a new gen card for around £200?

Your comments are welcome mate but telling people to buy Nvidia cards that are less powerful than the newer ATI cards at the same price because YOU love Nvidia (I may be wrong but thats the impression i get) seems a bit crappy to me.
November 3, 2009 8:11:06 PM

dragonfly789 said:
Well lets here your say.

Is there any logic in buying a last gen card when ATI have the next gen out before chirstmas. You seem to forget, its supposed to be a chirstmas gift. I DO understand that he may be an Nvidia guy but if it is supposed to be a suprise then theres no way she can ask him "what do you prefer? Nvidia or ATI?" and have him not suspect anything. The NEW 58xx series are very powerful cards for a great price. Debate if you wish but what would you do if you were in her situation?

Get a last gen card for around £200 or get a new gen card for around £200?

Your comments are welcome mate but telling people to buy Nvidia cards that are less powerful than the newer ATI cards at the same price because YOU love Nvidia (I may be wrong but thats the impression i get) seems a bit crappy to me.

Wow, I thought this was settled a few quotes, bog, whatever this is :sarcastic:  .... ago. I'm going to get my hubby the ATI 5850. I think he will love it.

Thank you EVERYONE for your tips. This has been VERY helpful to me. I think I'll do this again for next Xmas!!
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 8:20:45 PM

As the OP appears to have their answer this thread has served it's purpose, time for it to go bye bye's before it just degenerates.
!