Sign in with
Your question

XSPC Rasa installed; temps good?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2012 5:43:15 PM

Hey guys, I am sure this gets asked a lot but hopefully someone has the patience to help out a new water cooler!

I have built several pc's but this is my first water cooled build. I have an i7-950 and a GTX580 on the x58 FTW3 motherboard. I had *horrible* air flow in my case and I was seeing 90c on my 580 while playing Star Wars! So Wednesday I purchased a XSPC Rasa 750 rs360 along with a HAF 922 to fit it all in.

I was originally using a Corsair H50 to cool the cpu and averaged about 43 idle. Now I am down to about 32 idle and the GPU is about 75-80 while playing Star Wars (68 idle). I will be purchasing a block for my gpu this week as well.

Is 32c idle on the cpu a bit high? I was hoping to see 20s with water. What would be my next upgrade in order to get into the 20s? Also, what kind of fan setup for my case is ideal?
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 6:28:30 PM

32 idle is good for an h50, but 68C is HORRIBLE for idling, i'd look to remount the GPU cooler ASAP
m
l
January 28, 2012 6:37:07 PM

I'm at 32 for water cooling on the cpu. My H50 was in the 40s. I was hoping for 20s with this set up, but yeah...

I've got a 200mm fan on the side panel by my gpu now and I am at 60 idle. Still warm but I can't get a water block until next week.
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 9:34:08 PM

You can't go below ambient temps with air or water cooling. It sounds like your case suffers from horrible airflow, which would correct most of your issues. In fact, you might not need watercooling at all if your airflow was good.

Pull the side panel of your case and blow a house or desk fan on high into the side of your case. If your temps go down significantly, you have an airflow issue. If your temps remain relatively the same, you have a cooler problem or how it is mounted (that is if your temps remain high).
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:54:09 AM

Ok. Pulling the side panel off with and putting a fan on it drops me to 54c from 60c. I will have to do some research about proper circulation but my cabling shouldn't be an issue. I can tuck 90% of it behind the other panel on my HAF 922.

While I am doing some more research, any quick tips? I am really ignorant with proper circulation. I have a 200mm fan blowing out on my side panel, my rad mounted inside my case at the top, 120mm on the rear blowing out, and 200mm on the front pulling air in.

m
l
January 29, 2012 2:15:40 AM

Are you pulling cool air from outside case into your rad?

if not...you should be...this will get you your best temps from the rad cooled components

you could also add fans for a push/pull configuration
how is your rad mounted to allow all 3 fans access to fresh air?....i can see a 240 working but a 360 looks like it would be partially blocked...
m
l
January 29, 2012 2:55:30 AM

mrinnocent said:
Are you pulling cool air from outside case into your rad?

if not...you should be...this will get you your best temps from the rad cooled components

you could also add fans for a push/pull configuration
how is your rad mounted to allow all 3 fans access to fresh air?....i can see a 240 working but a 360 looks like it would be partially blocked...

Yes, I am pulling air in and the fan furthest to the front is unable to pull air in since it is basically under the fancy power buttons on top of the case. I guess I could always mount the rad outside on top of the case. I'm also guessing once I add my 580 to the loop my rad will really need better cooling.
m
l
January 29, 2012 3:05:39 AM

yes i think you will get much better performance mounted external...once you add the gpu you will have to do it anyhow.
you will definatley see better temps from the move...i have the rs360 rad also and adding the extra fans for push/pull helped me alot with a 1100t and 2 x hd6950's i now see 43c max on cpu @4.3ghz and gpu's max out at 42c also heavily oc'ed....my idle temps are usually about 3c to 6c over ambient
m
l
January 29, 2012 3:21:14 AM

I'll purchase some more tubing with the gpu block to mount externally then. Thanks for the advice everyone.
m
l
!