Bent pins on motherboard?

ishq

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hello, my P6X58D had trouble recognizing all of my ram. I tried various tests and then decided to take apart the heatsink & cpu. Nothing seemed wrong so I replaced the heatsink & cpu and now it will not post. I think I may have some bent pins.

What do you guys think of those images?

Solution
If you feel up to trying to bend the pins back yourself, here's the advice from bilbat's guide:

Excellent pictorial guide to installation/examination from Intel.
...if the pins are not too badly mangled, they can often be 'teased' back into place, using:
a jeweler's tweezer (most large hobby shops)
a jeweler's screwdriver (any dollar store)
a dental pick/tool (often found at dollar stores or hardware store counters)
or
a 'pin-vise' with a sewing needle mounted in it (a 'pin-vise' is a little thing the size and shape of a kid's crayon, that has a tiny chuck at one end, much like a drill chuck - they are used to drill ultra-fine holes in small work, and can be found, again, at any large hobby-shop or hardware store...)...

ishq

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Welp, got a reply back from Newegg. I do indeed have bent pins on the CPU socket & they refused to replace it. Can't say I blame 'em for it but I cant figure out how I managed to bend the pins on the motherboard when the cpu was pinless. Oh wells, I reckon I need to contact Asus and see if they can repair it. Thanks for the all the replies.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If you feel up to trying to bend the pins back yourself, here's the advice from bilbat's guide:

Excellent pictorial guide to installation/examination from Intel.
...if the pins are not too badly mangled, they can often be 'teased' back into place, using:
a jeweler's tweezer (most large hobby shops)
a jeweler's screwdriver (any dollar store)
a dental pick/tool (often found at dollar stores or hardware store counters)
or
a 'pin-vise' with a sewing needle mounted in it (a 'pin-vise' is a little thing the size and shape of a kid's crayon, that has a tiny chuck at one end, much like a drill chuck - they are used to drill ultra-fine holes in small work, and can be found, again, at any large hobby-shop or hardware store...)
...just takes a steady hand, and a bunch of patience

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I just use a pocketknife. Really!