Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bent pins on motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2010 1:51:10 AM

Hello, my P6X58D had trouble recognizing all of my ram. I tried various tests and then decided to take apart the heatsink & cpu. Nothing seemed wrong so I replaced the heatsink & cpu and now it will not post. I think I may have some bent pins.

What do you guys think of those images?

More about : bent pins motherboard

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 3:15:23 AM

Normally the bends are very difficult to see (so I doubt we will be able to see them in pics). Your best bet is to get a magnifying glass and carefully inspect.
Related resources
April 14, 2010 4:45:18 PM

Welp, got a reply back from Newegg. I do indeed have bent pins on the CPU socket & they refused to replace it. Can't say I blame 'em for it but I cant figure out how I managed to bend the pins on the motherboard when the cpu was pinless. Oh wells, I reckon I need to contact Asus and see if they can repair it. Thanks for the all the replies.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2010 2:46:11 AM

If you feel up to trying to bend the pins back yourself, here's the advice from bilbat's guide:

Excellent pictorial guide to installation/examination from Intel.
...if the pins are not too badly mangled, they can often be 'teased' back into place, using:
a jeweler's tweezer (most large hobby shops)
a jeweler's screwdriver (any dollar store)
a dental pick/tool (often found at dollar stores or hardware store counters)
or
a 'pin-vise' with a sewing needle mounted in it (a 'pin-vise' is a little thing the size and shape of a kid's crayon, that has a tiny chuck at one end, much like a drill chuck - they are used to drill ultra-fine holes in small work, and can be found, again, at any large hobby-shop or hardware store...)
...just takes a steady hand, and a bunch of patience
April 15, 2010 3:16:24 AM

Best answer selected by ishq.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2010 7:11:02 AM

ekoostik said:
If you feel up to trying to bend the pins back yourself, here's the advice from bilbat's guide:

Excellent pictorial guide to installation/examination from Intel.
...if the pins are not too badly mangled, they can often be 'teased' back into place, using:
a jeweler's tweezer (most large hobby shops)
a jeweler's screwdriver (any dollar store)
a dental pick/tool (often found at dollar stores or hardware store counters)
or
a 'pin-vise' with a sewing needle mounted in it (a 'pin-vise' is a little thing the size and shape of a kid's crayon, that has a tiny chuck at one end, much like a drill chuck - they are used to drill ultra-fine holes in small work, and can be found, again, at any large hobby-shop or hardware store...)
...just takes a steady hand, and a bunch of patience

I just use a pocketknife. Really!
!