Wait for gulftown? or i7 now?

mrcrybaby

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I forgot to ask this. Do you guys think the gulftown release next year will push down i7 prices a little? Even mobo's perhaps?

~mrcrybaby

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
if you will wait for gulftown, then when gulftown will come out, something better will be preped to go out, so you will wait (human nature) thus you will never buy a computer.
bottom line, just buy it.

Short answer: No.

Gulftown will be built on a 32nm mfg process, that is good. It lets you pack 50% more circuitry in the same space. In theory, the 6 core gulftown should cost the same to produce as the current i7-920 type chips. They will sell it at the price that people are willing to pay. Initially, that price will be high. Those who value many cores should be pleased.

I was disappointed that no 4 core 32nm cpu's are forthcoming. I don't need 6 cores. I had expected that a 32nm 4 core cpu could overclock nicely.

The price of the current i7-920 will probably not change much, and the faster variants, like the 950 might get a reduced price. Today, if you can use many cores and hyperthreading, then the i7-920 or higher line is good. If a fast quad will do, then the P55 chipset cpu's will be cheaper.

Anandtech had a recent article on mobo prices and costs. There is not that much profit margin in the lower end of the X58 motherboards. I would expect price erosion only in the high end enthusiasts boards.