Programmable usb switch

cxc129

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hello,
Im looking for a usb switch which connects a shared hard disck and two computers (like some KVMs do), but the key feature is it must have a programmable timer which automatically switchs between to computers, so they can access the shared drive.

Beware of using such a thing on a timer! The problem is that you have to "eject" the external hard drive before disconnecting it from the first machine, using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray. If the switch just does the equivalent of unplugging the drive from the first machine, you can damage the data.

If both machines are up at the same time, you could mount the hard drive to one machine and share it to the other. I have no idea whether or not this would address your particular issue.

What do you need this for? If it's backups, there's plenty of software to backup to a remote drive.

cxc129

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Thanks guys for your replies. WyomingKnott, I don't think you would need to "eject" while switching, I've got an aten kvm which does it but I have to physically push a button. I am so close, I just need it in a way that the buttons can be programmatically "pushed" . I am actually thinking to open up the aten, find the right wires and soldering a timer onto it.. it might work.
I want to transfer files between two secure networks that physically sit side by side, but have no network connections at all! Weird but it's what I've got :(

Honest, you do. If you use an external USB drive, before you disconnect it electrically from machine one you must use the Safely Remove Hardware tool in the system tray. Otherwise, you run the risk of corrupting the drive. If you just switch the connection from machine A to machine B, same result as if you unplugged it from A and plugged it into B. A keyboard or monitor won't care, but a USB drive can get corrupted.

TRENDING THREADS