Thermaltake Noise Dampening Kit

DZeroENT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
As we all know computers are noisy and we like them to do their job quietly. Thermaltake makes a great kit to help w/ this problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800999369

The sheets are extremely sticky so take caution when applying. Also, if you are a perfectionist like myself you will be able to cover around the fan mounts providing and additional method of quieting up those fans.

It helps significantly and has another great purpose. Keeping your motherboard from shorting out when you install into the case. Especially when you have dimple motherboard mounts instead of standoffs.

Just simply apply a sheet to the motherboard tray and cut out the holes for the mounts. (Don't worry, the material is rubber based.) The dampener will act as an insulation material.

If you are uncomfortable w/ flammability issues then simply apply a few coats of paint to the tray. DO NOT POWDER COAT! Powder coating is a metal based paint and that is how they get the paint to adhere to a surface. Powder coat will not insulate electricity.

The sheets are also very thin so don't worry about new clearance issues after application.

Hope this helps.

DZeroENT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, I did. Bought myself a DIY AMD/ATI gaming rig.

I recommend the dampening material because of a lot of forums I read about people shorting out their motherboards during installation.

Just crossing my fingers they read this topic before they begin their particular journey.

I recommend the dampening material because of a lot of forums I read about people shorting out their motherboards during installation.
Exactly HOW THE HELL would you manage to short out the MB unless they forget the standoffs???!?!? As for the "dimples" you should be able to put some electrical tape over it before screwing the board in, or they should already have some type of insulation in place already (I'v seen some HP cases which had the "dimple" top covered in some type of plastic).

Anyways, MNPCTECH has a better deal and thicker foam (6.5mm vs 4mm for the Thermaltake): http://www.mnpctech.com/Acoustical_Foam_Sheets_PC.html

I'v used this and it works very well. They have other stuff there too, my favorites are the custom case feet, modders mesh, and the film.

DZeroENT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

I don't ask "how" they do it, just offering a precaution, lol.