What to do with all this RAM?

geezergamer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So I just bought a snazzy new PC with 12GB. I'm aware that most people say that 12GB is overkill, but in all my years of computing I've never thought that I've had too much RAM. Well, perhaps until now.

My question is twofold. First, to what extent will I find this extra RAM useful/practical?

And second, is there a way that I can dedicate, say, 4-6GB of my RAM to some useful purpose? I haven't heard much talk of RAM disks in the past few years, but if there's some software out there I can download so as to make my computing experience faster/easier/better, I'd be all over it.

Thanks for any insights!

I don't know how you'd turn your RAM into an HDD, but I know that 12GB is overkill for most applications. That's right, there actually are some uses of 12GB+ RAM. One of them, for example, is heavy duty video editing. Also, servers tend to use a lot of RAM.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Ram access is much faster than HDD access. Research setting up a ram disk, using, say 6GB of memory and re-assign temp: and temp internet files to the ram disk and watch your system FLY!!.

I used ram disk software on an old AMIGA many years ago, copying the OS files to the ramdisk and it really sped up the system.

Google setting up a ram disk and see what others have to say about it.

Research it and try it, you won't be sorry!