......But can it play Crysis?

Upendra09

Distinguished
we all know about Crysis, it is the ultimate test that measures the power/performance of a proc, or gfx card.

so why is Crysis so hard to tame? what makes it hard to play with full AA/AF, high quality and everything maxed with MS and SS?

Solution
Probably because of the amount of detail, consider the number of triangles, amount of textures and level of post processing.

Putting it simply look at the level of detail on the faces of people on Dead Space, Bioshock, Splinter Cell Double Agent, etc vs Crysis. Also Crysis' terrain has thousands of trees and vegetation versus the closed spaces of Dead Space or Fallout's desolate terrain.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Probably because of the amount of detail, consider the number of triangles, amount of textures and level of post processing.

Putting it simply look at the level of detail on the faces of people on Dead Space, Bioshock, Splinter Cell Double Agent, etc vs Crysis. Also Crysis' terrain has thousands of trees and vegetation versus the closed spaces of Dead Space or Fallout's desolate terrain.

Solution
Video card memory has a lot to do with being able to turn up AA from the games settings panel. I ran Crysis with a GTX260 OC'ed and had some problems with AA even at 2x here and there. I ran an MSI GTX260 with 1792 v-ram and would play with 8x and not have any stumbles...anywhere... at 1680x1050. He's running a 5870 and having problems. I didn't know ATI cards could enable AA. Wasn't there some kind of problem with that somewhere? I did run Crysis on a 4870 w/512 memory and it wasn't very good at that res. Ati supposed to come out with a 2gig version of that card. Can't wait. My personal opinion is that Crysis, like a few other games, needs more than the 1gig that the card has. Don't care how fast it is.

And it still one of the few pure DX10 titles over there... Xbox standard for the PC is not helping. Let's hope DX11 will be ported to next gen consoles... until then, we will be trapped on DX9 games.

xaira

Distinguished
if you wanna make a game that everyone will buy, and that endless advertisments will be done without your knowledge or even trying, make a game that only the best and latest equipment can play, then, everyone who reviews a gcard will post results it made with your game, every new piece of equipment released will have peoiple asking "can it play this game, and you make tonnes of money for doing less work than everyone else, but even though its poorly optimised, the in game graphics r pretty sweet

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Poor coding? You can play with 20fps and have it feel like 40...name me one engine that can do that...???
also whats impressive is that just because an application is a little bit more advanced or ahead of its time people start all the fuss about how poor coding it is and all that stuff, Crysis isn't poorly coded, you can't expect a game to look that good without taking a severe toll on resources, get real people, crysis is about as close as it gets to photorealism and just because your weak old computers can't run it like they can run mario karts doesn't mean its poorly coded. Crysis is very advanced peice of software that is ahead of its time and gives outstanding quality and realism...aswell as good performance for the ridiculous graphics it offers.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I wouldn't say it is ahead of its time by any standards. For one, it uses a graphics API from 2006-ish and uses normal triangular rasterization. Not even something more advanced or anything. It's not that no one else could make a game as detailed as Crysis, it's just, they don't. Why? Because it's stupid. Crysis is just an experiment like.. "Hey guys, I wonder what would happen if we made the textures soo big they were 4 gb?".

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well it isn't really ahead of its time now, but making crysis was a really good busniss move, i really wouldn't be suprised if major GPU or chip manufactures like nvidia,ati, and intel actually made deals to make a game like crysis because people buy it and then when they see they cant run it, they go out and buy a better gpu, I can almost garentee that a massive amount of people baught a more powerful PC or GPU just for crysis. So it isn't stupid its a really smart busniss move and consumers really did fall for it. And crysis isn't an expiriement, its a great game and nothing comes close to its graphics for its time and even years after it. ITs better then games like Call of Duty who look like a damn cartoon show.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

The level of detail was the supposed selling factor for Crysis. I remember before how they were releasing images comparing the 3d model to the real thing (a human face and the beach location). Too bad they really didn't work on a unique storyline.

Other game makers haven't made games as detailed as Crysis simply because it can't run on the 360 and PS3. If you followed the progression of Direct X, by this time there should have been more DX10 titles, instead what we have are games that are only patched to DX10. Just because most PC titles now are ports from the 360.

DX 9c is now a really old api.