Sign in with
Your question

8-pin power connector for Core i5

Last response: in Components
December 31, 2009 2:52:35 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm installing a new Core i5 into an EVGA P55 LE (@Newegg). Unfortunately I realized that my Fortron power supply (@Newegg) doesn't have the 8-pin 12V connector that the mobo wants for the CPU power connection.

I found a site that says I can plug in a 4-pin 12V connector to the 8-pin socket and it will run, but that I run the risk of overheating the connection. I was previously using this PSU to power a Pentium D through the 4-pin connector. Both CPUs are rated at 95W.

Is this plan overly risky? I'm thinking that since both CPUs are rated at the same power draw, the connector shouldn't get hotter in the 8-pin socket than the 4-pin. There seem to be some adapters on the market but I can't see hooking one up as lowering the draw/heat production in the 4-pin connector.

I'm pretty bummed about finding that I don't have the right connection, and would really appreciate not having to spend another $75 or more buying a new quality PSU. Your help is very much appreciated.

Best,
Alex
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 31, 2009 2:56:27 AM

My Gigabyte and eVGA manuals say that the 8 pin connector is needed only for CPU's with a TDP of greater than 120 watts.

Use the 4 pin connector. You should be OK.
m
l
December 31, 2009 3:05:11 AM

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.
m
l
!