Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HOW TO NOT BREAK MOTHERBOARDS

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2010 1:18:14 PM

I was installing cooler master h212+, worked fine the first time then I decided to take it all apart and reapply the thermal paste because I thought I didn't do it properly. Second time when I put it all back together there was no POST. Technician comfirmed defective mobo and didn't see any signs of phsyical damage or burns. So, I am getting it replaced under warranty, and want to ask how I would NOT break it again installing my cooler the seconds time. Am I screwing on the back plate and screwes too tightly?

Anyhow Im getting around 51 degrees under max load for my Phenom II 965 with the cooler while it was working. Does that sound reasonable?... I thought it would be somewhere in the 40's...

Thanks everyone~

More about : break motherboards

a c 435 V Motherboard
April 4, 2010 1:28:28 PM

Too many folks obsessed with temps. My basic rule is "leave it alone" if it's within reasonable operating limits. Intel and Amd cpus work just fine up to 65c.
m
l

Best solution

a c 156 V Motherboard
April 4, 2010 4:02:04 PM

jahn6 said:
Am I screwing on the back plate and screwes too tightly?

Probably not. You will run out screw thread before the HSF is screwed in too tightly.

And o1die is right about temperatures. Idle temps? As long as the HSF is installed properly, who cares?

Load temps? Under 65 C - 70C. Remember, you are not going to be operating at 100% for sustained periods.
April 11, 2010 10:55:50 AM

Best answer selected by jahn6.
m
l
!