Good temps for the i5?

bovis

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Right now, at low load, I'm at 43, 41, 43, and 41C on my four cores according to Core Temp. Is this good for low-end?

I'm currently installing games right now so I haven't been able to test it out at high loads yet. What should my ceiling be?

BTW, I'm using the stock cooler and I'm not overclocking.

bovis

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, so after playing GTA IV and UT3, Core Temp shows temperatures at around 61C for all four cores. Temperature-wise, when does it get worrisome? 70C? 80C?

You'll want to keep it around or below 70C, although todays cpu's could easily stand temps up to 80C and below.

Now you temps are fine. although to see if your HSF is cooling the cpu to the fullest, Run a program called prime 95. It a stress program that designed to push your cpu to the max. After running it for about 7 minutes. come back and tell us your temps.

Now under real world use like games, you'll never see the temps that prime 95 will make but it always a good to know bases of what your max temp you cpu will make.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
sorry to hijack, but its kinda relevant
im getting 42,45,41,42 C max on my core i5 with prolimatech megahalems at stock temps, voltage etc. is this alright, or should they be lower? (100% load OCCT, ocz freeze)
thanks
MICK

my ambient fluctuates around 25~32C, or 77~90F

Max? Do you mean idle?

I've never heard of OCCT. What is your max core temperature when you're running prime95?

Those temperatures seem to be a bit too warm for idle, and way too cold for load.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
hmmmm..it seems my idle is like 36~42C...so OCCT isn't testing it enough, or my CPUID HWMonitor is fail.....
what programs do you suggest to keep temps while running P95? (and do blend, or small?)

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
ok..i started it, and the temps rose rapidly to 89C, where i cut it......it just doesn't make sense...unless i seated it wrongly

my cpu is the prolimatech megahalem, im using ocz freeze. its all in a CM storm sniper, so no worries with airflow (2x 70CFM fans on the side of the cooler)...the only thing i can think of is i didn't seat it properly...but that seem kinda unlikely...it was my first shot at seating a cooler, but i did it reasonably well, and the paste was smooth overall...it was a thin layer, but you couldn't see the metal

what do u think is wrong?

EDIT: ran OCCT on linpack (was running wrong test), and the temps go from 37~39 up to 48~49.... does this seem more reasonable? (also, what is wrong with P95 if so? is it a problem with the monitoring program while p95 is running, or is it p95 being weird or what? )

TRENDING THREADS