Sign in with
Your question

My External hard drive Randomly comes on and off

Last response: in Storage
August 25, 2011 3:26:51 PM

Hello,

I'm pretty new at all this, but I bought a Seagate Expansion 1.5 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive months ago...I am Windows 7...it was working fine for awhile, I did have this Autorun thing that kept popping up which was annoying, but I turned that off, and then after that I started to get this noise.

The noise poped up just like the Autorun ... It would make a noise as if I plugged something into the USB on the computer. And then the next minute make another noise as if I closed something.

I ignored it for awhile cause I couldn't figure it out. The Hard Drive still worked just fine, until I moved, I kept the Hard drive separate so it wouldn't get scratched or damaged, but Now the hard drive comes on randomly.

It still works, The light is on, all the cords are plugged in right. But it makes that noise as usual but this time it stops reading the Hard drive in between the two noises. Sometimes it will only make one noise and won't be access-able for hours. I have searched several times but I can't find anything on it. Please Help! I have a lot of files on it that I need.

Sorry for the long post but its all the info I pretty much have...
a c 116 G Storage
August 25, 2011 7:11:55 PM

The timing of the events might be coincidental. Backup the entire drive as soon as possible. After the drive is backed up, try and salvage the old drive. It is quite possible that the old drive is failing.
m
l
August 25, 2011 8:17:18 PM

Ubrales said:
The timing of the events might be coincidental. Backup the entire drive as soon as possible. After the drive is backed up, try and salvage the old drive. It is quite possible that the old drive is failing.

I'm pretty sure its not coincidental, because I think its just not reading the hard drive so when it does reads it, its like I'm plugging it in to the comp and its rebooting or something. I haven't tried hooking it up to another Comp yet, but even when its not reading it's still on, and its still pretty new! Its really strange. Is it possible to be a virus? I have tried many different things to it but nothing seems to change. Thanks for the info I will back up my files ASAP
m
l
Related resources
!