Anyone else with newer ATi chipsets have this problem?

ChrisRT

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
What is going on everyone? I should have registered here years ago.

I have 2 problems with my brand new build.

First I'll get to the chipset issue.
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard. Before I purchased an ATi chipped board I read about audio stutter sometimes. I seem to have gotten that problem now. It just started happening. I have the newest ATi drivers too. What do you others use to fix this besides a restart?

The other issue is that HWmonitor and EasyTune 5 (crappy) would always show my CPU temp. After installing AMD's Overdrive, nothing seems to display my CPU's temp. and from what I remember, the BIOS reported an error temp. reading of some 40C.
Before everything would display around 28-32C in Windows.

I did manage to unlock my extra 2MB of cache with ACC, could that have caused this mess?

My specs,
Phenom II X4 805 with 6MB of L3 unlocked
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P (love this board so far)
VisionTek HD3850 256MB DDR3, PCI-E
2GB of Mushkin DDR2
512MB of something else (I don't even know why)
LG DVD burner
Coolermaster 460W power supply
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 CPU fan with a high performance 80 MM fan (other broke)
Oh, and Windows 7 RC.
The funny thing is that the CPU fan still spools on tasks so I think it may just be a Windows problem.

The unlocked cache is likely the source of your issues, the 8xx series came about from the 9xx series that had defective caches. My ATI chipset hasnt given me any issues, i have a 790FX board, sound stuttering is sometimes caused by bad ram settings, go in and make sure that your ram is set to the appropriate voltage and timings and you may want to pull the random 512MB stick, it should give you slightly better stability.

ChrisRT

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Hunter, I'll check the RAM.

Mindless, I can confirm that the enabling of the 2MB of extra cache caused the temp. reading to flake. I disabled it and the temp. is back to normal.

Here is what I want to know now, whith it enables, my BIOS temp was around 40C but with it off it is about 30C. Did the cache actually cause a temp. spike?

Aside from that, the fan would spool up on tasks so I want to know if I should even worry about it if the sensors already know when to spool the fan. I mean is there a risk of it overheating?

Oh, and would it be safe to assume that there is no fault with the chip but that there is a limitation with atleast the 8xx Phenom IIs and the ACC code?

the cache may have been disabled because it was high leakage leading to excess heat, the ACC code was meant to be used on first generation phenoms not phenom IIs, it actually cheats its way around code in the PII's to get them to do stuff they arent supposed to. If enabling it causes issues, then dont enable it, some were disabled for extremely good reasons, others were disabled because they were slightly out of spec.

ChrisRT

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Makes plenty sense to me. Thanks