Sign in with
Your question

Should I overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2012 4:36:24 PM

Hi, I'm kind of new to this place and overlclocking. I understand the basic concepts of it and how it works/how to do it, but I was wondering if at the temperatures my computer is running at is safe to overclock my processor and graphics card, and if so, by how much, so my hardware won't pass 70-80 C or near the tjmax.

Idling temps are: 25-30 Celcius(GPU and CPU) and 25-35 Celcius (processor)
Under full load: 30 Celcius (GPU), 40-45 Celcius (CPU), 60-70 Celcius (processor)

My specs are:
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-HVS
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core 3.4 GHz
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
RAM: 2x4GB (8GB)

Also, if any of you guys know any programs that can help me overclock without accessing the BIOS I would greatly appreciate it as well

More about : overclock

January 29, 2012 5:38:08 PM

Why do you have separate and different temps for CPU and processor? They're the same thing...
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2012 5:47:57 PM

If you look in HWMonitor is lists CPU/Sys/Aux(on my Z68) as well as Core and Package Temps, So I could see how someone could post multiple temps.

AIDA64 is just as bad

m
l
January 29, 2012 5:50:00 PM

cliffro said:
If you look in HWMonitor is lists CPU/Sys/Aux(on my Z68) as well as Core and Package Temps, So I could see how someone could post multiple temps.

AIDA64 is just as bad
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2073/temps4.png

True, but he's showing a 20-25C difference under load - if it were just a confusing display, they should at least be closer.
m
l
January 29, 2012 6:28:37 PM

It seems like he might be mislabeling them, "60-70 Celcius (processor)" sounds more like the 560 than the processor especially with the GPU listed @ 30c under stress unless he is running IBT or Prime95, then it makes sense.

It also sounds like he is using the Stock heatsink if the load temps for "(processor)" really are 60-70c or he's got his computer in a very hot room.

If Matt456 could post a screenshot from HWMonitor showing temps AFTER a stress test it would end any speculation, and allow us to further advise him.

Matt456, you should have this up and running and then run whatever you use for full load temps, afterwards make sure its long enough to display both CPU/Core and GPU temps then take a screenshot and post it here.

HWMonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.18-setup.exe

It should look like this(ignore my 124c CPU temp, if you look at my image from AIDA64 you can see its not 124c) make sure the temps I highlighted are visible the rest can be collapsed like the others in mine.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2012 10:04:08 PM

You cannot OC as you have to have a K series chip AND a z68 or p67 board. You only have the K chip. The only thing you can OC is the turbo (which I believe 4.2Ghz is the maximum for the 2600k on the turbo boost) or tune the BCLK. Tuning the BCLK can cause major issues if you OC it too far, so don't do that.

To tune the turbo, adjust the core turbos.

e.g. Core #0 = 42 mutlipler, Cores #0 and 1 = 41 multiplier, Cores #0, 1, and 2 = 40 multiplier, and Cores #0,1,2, and 3 = 39 multiplier.

You could run them all at the maximum multiplier or whatever you wanted too. If you get a crash, add a small amount of turbo voltage.

Some people are successful with this method, but some people are not, and I have not done it, so I cannot give you a great guide on it.

As for temps, 80C while stress testing is okay, but for daily use, you will damage the CPU. The MAX safe temp for that CPU is 72.6C, so don't run past that in daily use. 24/7 safe temps are below 70C, but for 24/7, I would stay in the mid 60s Celsius.

The maximum voltage if you want the CPU to last a long time would be somewhere around 1.36-1.38v, but you shouldn't need that as your max overclock can be very restricted.

Hope this helped! :) 
m
l
January 30, 2012 10:03:08 PM

For those asking and talking about the temperatures, I ran a full load test on LinX and checked the temps on SpeedFan 4.45. Here is a screenshot.

EDIT: After about 5 minutes under full load the CPU temp increased quite significantly. Here is a side by side reading of both programs
m
l
January 30, 2012 10:21:09 PM

Hmm, you have cores already hitting 70C...I wouldn't OC.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2012 11:24:45 PM

If that is stock, I wouldn't OC, as you aready hitting the maximum temperature for that CPU. Is that a stock cooler?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 11:20:42 PM

Matt456 said:
Hi, I'm kind of new to this place and overlclocking. I understand the basic concepts of it and how it works/how to do it, but I was wondering if at the temperatures my computer is running at is safe to overclock my processor and graphics card, and if so, by how much, so my hardware won't pass 70-80 C or near the tjmax.

Idling temps are: 25-30 Celcius(GPU and CPU) and 25-35 Celcius (processor)
Under full load: 30 Celcius (GPU), 40-45 Celcius (CPU), 60-70 Celcius (processor)

My specs are:
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-HVS
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core 3.4 GHz
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
RAM: 2x4GB (8GB)

Also, if any of you guys know any programs that can help me overclock without accessing the BIOS I would greatly appreciate it as well

You cannot OC your CPU because you are using a MOBO that doesn't allow Overclocking. They are right! You should be using a P67 or Z68 chipset MOBO to overclock a CPU like i7 2600K. If you really want to overclock your CPU change your MOBO and buy an aftermarket CPU cooler like Cooler master hyper 212 plus or any loquid cooling kit. With that temperature reading, you will be frying your CPU.
m
l
!