Corrupt BIOS ?

wiggey

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I am working on a Compaq Presario M2000 w/ XP Home. It will not boot or respond to any keyboard functions, therefore I am not able to enter set-up. I have tried Hirens 9.6 as well as other rescue boot cd's with no results. It begins to boot, I get 2 beeps which HP says is a corrupted BIOS, & freezes on a black screen. Screen says F1 to resume or F2 to enter set-up, but there is no response from any keys. I have tried the hard reset the HP web site says,(remove battery & a/c power cord, then hold down power button for 6 seconds), but this changes nothing. I then tried removing the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes, replacing it but still no change.I have downloaded newer BIOS files from HP web site on another comp., but I have no idea how to flash BIOS since it responds to nothing. I didn't see any BIOS jumpers on the motherboard, or any reset points. Maybe I over looked them. Can anyone advise me on a new approach? Many Thanx
wiggey

If you can get your case apart and inspect the board, look for a removable bios chip; many are soldered on. You can also inspect the cpu heatsink and clean it off with canned air. I wouldn't remove it unless you have some thermal paste to use. Notebook boards are very expensive, so proceed with caution. You may end up saving your old hardrive and transferring the files over to a new laptop.

wiggey

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
No problem getting case apart. I had to do that to remove the CMOS battery. To be honest, I looked & looked but could not identify the BIOS chip. I fear it is probably a TSOP BIOS which I think are all soldered in.
Is there any way to use a second computer to access the first one? I could then flash BIOS with new file from HP.
Thanx for your help
wiggey

JaggyFord

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello
I too have a problem with a compaq Presario 3077wm. I can find very little about the

laptop on line...

However (Wiggey)I did find the bios chip on the underside of the motherboard..

Mine has Insyde Bios - M... I did a rompaq flash because it said it was an update for bios

(had a problem with the screen being dark and keyboard not working right)...All the HP site
said was to download and install. .. which is what I did... The screen got brighter and the it shut down... when it rebooted I had a black screen and the computer was in an endless loop... Lights on, fans on, click in the DVD with a spin... but would not boot to bios screen... tried all methods of keys with hard set in between.removed CMOS, also found no jumper pins.. . removed the hdd and the dvd now.. still won't read ....I've tried to redo flash using a flash drive... won't read for the CD... tried putting it on iso. Did I fry my computer?? or is there something else I can do... I even tried a Live CD..Nothing has worked so far. And no I don't have a floppy with the old bios on them... Do I need to rename the file? Thank you for any help you can give.

If you can get to the post screen, then it's not fried yet. It may have other problems. You need to get into the bios by using the "del" key or any listed on the post screen. Then set the cd as the first boot device, save and exit. And next time don't update the bios. It's really not necessary unless you need to update the cpu and you're sure the new bios will allow it. If it works, I would leave it alone. Oem notebook boards are very expensive and sometimes hard to find.

JaggyFord

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Hello O1die

I can't get to the bios screen at all. The computer is in a endless loop. I use the win+b but I can't get the computer to boot from USB. I used a keyboard and did see that the keys will light up so I guess the USB is working or at least getting power, but the keys on that key board wouldn't work either. Tried removing the CMOS battery. No luck.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
JaggyFord

johnofleeds

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Hi Jaggyford did you sort it out?-I'm having the same problems