EVGA X58 Video card blocks PCIeX1 slot

tis2laf

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
New builder here with a question.

Purchased the EVGA X58 SLI LE with the i7 930. Got a Diamond Radeon 5770 which I put intot the only PCIex16. Here's the issue. This card takes up so much space it precludes my using the only PCIex1 slot. Now I wanted to put in a wireless N card which only uses the PCIex1 slot, but it can't fit.

So the question is this: Is there another motherboard out there comparable to the X58 that has a more sensible slot arrangement?

I say more sensible for this reason. It stands to reason that anyone using such a sophisticated board is very likely to also use the PCIex16 slot for an equally sophisticated video card. But if EVGA went to the trouble of including the PCIeX1 slot in the first place, just in case someone like me wanted to use some basic card that could ONLY use that slot, wouldn't it have made more sense to have occluded one of the other PCIe slots, like the x4 x8, etc?

In any case, can someone suggest a nice board that doesn't lead to this problem? Or am I being naive, and need to understand that in practice, these boards aren't as upgradeable as the sheer number of slots may make them appear?

Thanks! :lol: