[A poor man needs your help]Palit GTS 250 1GB no display

jerkshop

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hello there guys its my first time to register to a community and ask a question.

So my problem is my newly purchased GTS 250 made by Palit, I have no display if I connect the VGA connector to the card but when I connect the VGA connector to the onboard VGA it works. So seems to me that the card is not being detected as the primary video adapter. What I did was try to change the BIOS settings and forcing it to choose PCIe but still it did not work and still it's booting to use the onboard VGA. I wonder why is that happening that it still boots on the onboard VGA even if the video card is plug into the systemboard. According to some people it's with power that the card is not getting enough power from my PSU but they cannot answer the question why is it booting on my onboard VGA. Ofcourse it should still detect the videocard and not boot on the onboard VGA if the problem is regarding power, correct me if I'm wrong with that. Also the video card fan is rotating, I do not experience hearing beeps on my system board or anything else. I also tried updating my BIOS still no luck.

My old card was an Inno3D 9800GT which is 1GB and it works just fine on my system. Before I purchased the video card I tried to check reviews and its system requirements. According to some documentations, the Palit GTS 250 Green Edition requires 450W, 25A, and 12V to work comparing it to the Inno3D 9800GT which requires 500W, 30A, and 12V to work. I just wonder if it has something to do with my PSU but the thing that questions me is that power requirements are just the same why is it the card is not being detected? So I unplug and replug the card many times making sure that its correctly inserted to the PCIe slot. Cleaning the PCIe slot is such a good idea but I can't risk to use a brush, may a toothbrush I believe?

So what seems to be the problem here?

Another question, if the card is being detected and it lacks power will it boot on the onboard VGA or it should not??

Here is my current system, looks old but works fine with some games

PSU: iMaster 550W
Processor: E4500 Core2Duo running at 2.2Ghz both cores
RAM: 4GB
Systemboard: Intel D946GZAB
HDD: 250GB Seagate Barracuda

Thank you.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

:eek: . Always, always check the installation manual. If the card has 2 6pin plugs then maybe, maybe they need to be used... :whistle:

jerkshop

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

You got that right dude but it does not come with a well informed manual all it has was a thick manual with similar installation procedures in different languages thats it, well my PSU does not have a 6pin connector and my 9800GT only requires one 4pin molex connected to the 4pin molex to 6pin connector and the store said one molex connected to the 4pin molex to 6pin connector will do the trick. What I did was used 2 4pin molex to 6pin connectors and connected 3 4 pin molex. It worked. LOL! but I don't know if its with the PCIe pins not contacting properly with each other or the slot is just dirty because I sacrifice my toothbrush to clean the PCIe slot. So instead of causing me another PSU worth $70. Thanks to that toothbrush or a fairy it just caused me $3 for a new toothbrush, I love Oral B.