Looking for opinions on case/setup

drewgamer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello T.H. peeps,

As I finish out upgrading my computer I've been doing a lot of research into water cooling.

I want to do some overclocking on my CPU and GPU and while air has done me well in the past for my CPU I haven't touched my GPUs for overclocking (they always run too hot with the stock fans).

Anyway, what I want to know is, will my Antec 1200 (original version) have enough room to accommodate a loop for a CPU + GPU (possibly 2). If not, will the HAFX 942 make a difference (or what other case can you recommend)?

I was also looking at the Phobya XTREME rad if internal room is a problem (I don't care about having it out of the case, my desk has plenty of room) is it any good?

My main reason for wanting to go water is to achieve high OC with my GPU and from what I've read, you need water cooling to do this. I figured I might as well include the CPU on the loop (I want at least 4.6 from it).

My setup right now...
Antec 1200 (original)
ASUS p8p67 Deluxe
i5 2500k
2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws
HD 7970 / HD 7950x2 / GTX 680 (haven't decided here, waiting to see what's released in Feb)
2x HDD
1x Optical Drive

Solution
I want to do some overclocking on my CPU and GPU and while air has done me well in the past for my CPU I haven't touched my GPUs for overclocking (they always run too hot with the stock fans).

I feel ya on that one - my 470s used to run at 65-70C *sigh*

Anyway, what I want to know is, will my Antec 1200 (original version) have enough room to accommodate a loop for a CPU + GPU (possibly 2). If not, will the HAFX 942 make a difference (or what other case can you recommend)?
If you're looking at two high-end GPUs like you mention below, you're going to need a decent amount of rad space to cool them down with a good delta. Read through the watercooling sticky at the top of the WC forum and read up on how to determine what...

I feel ya on that one - my 470s used to run at 65-70C *sigh*

If you're looking at two high-end GPUs like you mention below, you're going to need a decent amount of rad space to cool them down with a good delta. Read through the watercooling sticky at the top of the WC forum and read up on how to determine what amount of rad space you need.

You need to figure out A) how much heat you need to dissipate, B) how you intend to dissipate it (# and size of rads, etc.) and C) how you plan to implement B. The information to do that is all in the sticky (of course, feel free to come back with questions, but it's imperative that you read through it).

The Antec 1200 would be tough to internally watercool (would require extensive modding to do it cleanly), and there is one radiator that is manufactured for the 1200's 200mm fan. The HAF 942 and Corsair 800D would be easier to internally cool, since you can fit a 360 and 240 rad with minimal modding, and maybe a 360 instead of a 240 if you mod it right.

I was also looking at the Phobya XTREME rad if internal room is a problem (I don't care about having it out of the case, my desk has plenty of room) is it any good?
Never personally used one but I've heard they're at least standard quality. I was planning on trying one of the Phobya Xtreme 1080s but my budget got cut down over the holidays.

If you're considering external, then you obviously don't need to worry too much about the case, and there are different ways you could mount the Phobya (attach to side panel, purchase the feet made for it, etc.)

My main reason for wanting to go water is to achieve high OC with my GPU and from what I've read, you need water cooling to do this. I figured I might as well include the CPU on the loop (I want at least 4.6 from it).
It depends on several factors usually, but for very high OCs water is definitely useful. My 460s didn't have issues with the stock coolers (a bit noisy though), but my 470s crashed any time I tried to OC and run a game.

HD 7970 / HD 7950x2 / GTX 680 (haven't decided here, waiting to see what's released in Feb)
You'll have to estimate a TDP for the GPUs that haven't been released yet (safest way to estimate heat generation).

Solution
G

Just go with HAF X bro if you don't have the patience of modding the case. You really don't have to cut something on the case coz there's plenty of space to put bigger rads already without you modding it.

You really don't need liquid cooling if you're main reason is only to get maximum Sandy bridge CPU overclocks. A good air cooler can do it. Prior to launching Sandy Bridge last 2011 Intel tested its (i7 2600K) overclock limits with simple air cooler & was able to overclocked it to 5.0 GHz. For GPU it's a different story. You really need to liquid cool your video cards if you need to overclock it higher.

Just go with HAF X bro if you don't have the patience of modding the case. You really don't have to cut something on the case coz there's plenty of space to put bigger rads already without you modding it.
I believe the Antec 1200 has holes/grommets for external watercooling, which would be necessary for the Phobya if the OP were to go that route.

@OP - these are the feet I was talking about. You just attach them to the 1080 and stick it somewhere.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_335_986&products_id=30317&zenid=ce919c1f673708e63d7bf6833435b208
(also on FrozenCPU if you buy from there instead)

You really don't need liquid cooling if you're main reason is only to get maximum Sandy bridge CPU overclocks. A good air cooler can do it. Prior to launching Sandy Bridge last 2011 Intel tested its (i7 2600K) overclock limits with simple air cooler & was able to overclocked it to 5.0 GHz. For GPU it's a different story. You really need to liquid cool your video cards if you need to overclock it higher.

That's why the OP said
My main reason for wanting to go water is to achieve high OC with my GPU

drewgamer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, there are 2 grommets in the back for in/out.

Also, thanks for pointing that site out, it's a bit cheaper that FrozenCPU...I was never that great at shopping around :p

Exactly, I just figured I might as well put the CPU on the loop as well.

After doing a bit more research I'm starting to draw the conclusion that I might be better off foregoing water cooling at the moment.

Most 1200 loops I've seen have required modding the case, and I'm not really into that (at least not right now, maybe not ever lol). The amount I'd spend on a new case+loop components, I feel I'd be better off upgrading my PSU and going SLI/CFX.

So thinking my options here...
1) Mod the Antec 1200 for a 360(front)+240(back)
2) External Rad setup for the 1200 (not really sure here, something along the line of the Phobya 1080?)
3) Buy a new case that can fit a 360+240 without modding
4) Hold off on watercooling for now...Upgrade PSU and go SLI/CFX (maybe buy a cheap air cool for OC the CPU)

I think I've already decided what I want to do, but I'd like some other opinions.

Thanks for "putting up with me"
Drew