A little help with MB selection

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I have an out dated gateway computer. I want to salvage what I can from it to make a "new" box. There's no way I'm going to convince the wife to let me go buy one. I'm going to salvage the processor and overclock it as much as possible. The processor is a P4 2.93 ghz. I'd like to have a board that allows me to up the bus 1 mhz at a time as well as generous voltage selection. I haven't done this in a while so to say I'm out of the loop is an under statement but I have the basic skills required. Right now I'm researching boards and I'm looking for suggestions to suit my purpose. The graphics would have to be either on board or agp because all i have right now are agp cards. Other than that the usual suspects... network audio stuff like that.
thanks Mark

Solution

jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Solution

jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Like i said...the p4's put out a tremendous amount of heat...your likely going to apend 100 bucks cooling the thing to get it overclocked to the point where performance is acceptable.

Put this money into a new mobo and cpu...its not worth it.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
Hmmm Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll likely go for a processor as well. I new that heat was an issue with p4's but the system it's in now rarely turns the case fan on. It does when doing some video conversions but even then not on high. So I was hoping maybe it might work.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Not really worth it. You can get a much better mobo and CPU for not much money these days. You can pick up an AMD triple or quad core with a mobo for less than $150 (especially if you have a Frys Electronics, or Microcenter nearby).