sputnick

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I think my problem may be my PSU. When I overclock my cpu, I get restarts while gaming. I don't think my overclock is to aggressive +.06ghz. 2.4ghz to 3.0. I have my memory set to sli expert, unlinked, 1333mhz fsb, and 1066mhz ram,
5,5,5,15,2T timings manual, memory voltage set to 2.1V everything else is set to auto. I ran prime95 blend test for 2hrs. with no problems My CPU temp never went higher than 62c. If I don't overclock I have no problems. I really want to get to 3.0ghz. If it's my PSU than I have no problem getting a new one. I am no pro and I have been doing alot of research online trying to figure this out myself. I have a little money to fix this problem. My rig is older but still goes and games like a champ.

System Specs.
CPU: Q6600 GO
MOBO: Evga 780i
RAM: Gskill 4 gigs 2x2 1066mhz Pi Black
PSU: ABS Tagan BZ 900watt
CPU COOLER:Freezer Pro 7
GPU:Evga 9800 gtx ssc 65nm

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You have way more than enough PSU to OC your system. I would recommend you don't OC your memory and focus on your GPU and CPU. OCing memory often leads to unstable systems and the performance gains from OCed memory is minimal.

Given your situation, drop the memory to stock and see if the system stabilizes. Good luck!

sputnick

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I read in other forums that a restart from gaming is most likely a failing PSU! But I haven't read one that answered my question. When you say drop the memory to stock are you saying link and sync? My ram is 1066mhz and thats what it is set to. I am a noob when it comes to this but I am really interested in getting a stable 3.0ghz oc.

sputnick

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

They are good, like I said I ran prime95 blend for 2 hours with no fail temps never went above 62c, and my gpu never gets above 56c when I game.

Overclocking is like testing for bad hardware. Switch a setting and test. I suggest you set your PC back to stock and test for a while in games. First make sure your system is stable at stock in what is crashing you. Try the settings in the video and test in game. Make sure the CPU can take the overclock on its own first. You have to find that each piece of hardware can take those settings. If the CPU only overclock doesn't crash you have limited your possible causes. Next only the motherboard while keeping the CPU and RAM near stock. Lastly do your RAM overclock.

Try looking at the minidumps using whocrashed. Could be a driver or in some cases Avast anti-virus can crash the OS kernel with games like a 0x7F UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.

sputnick

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

sputnick

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Guess I should of hit the preview button!LOL!^