Closed Solved

Xps 730 motherboard

Hello,I have an upgrade situation. I have a one year old Dell XPS 730, Intel Core2 processor E8400,4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz,single card 512 MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GT, motherboard is a 7-slot ATX, one KW power supply, and I am running 32-bit Vista Home Premium OS.
I wish to get past the 4MB ram limit of the 32-bit OS and the XPS physical limit of 8MB of RAM. I have a legal unopened OEM system builder 64-bit Vista Home Premium OS available to install.
I will be upgrading from Adobe CS4 to CS5 soon. CS5 After Effects requires 64-bit OS and suggests 16MB RAM for best performance. I would like to know how to make use of 16MB of RAM.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If THIS is your PC, the max RAM that you can install with a x64 OS is 8GB.

If you want install 16GB, you need change your mobo for one that support your current processor, RAM, and can support 16GB.
  2. Thanks for the welcome and the response. You hit the nail. I am looking for suggestions as to what mobo might fit the XPS 730 case. Would any standard 7-slot ATX board work if it had the needed memory slots? Advice on dealing with the Dell connections would also help. I have seen veiled references to problems upgrading "standard" Dell components with 3rd party replacements.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

djg
  3. I went to the Dell link you provided. Yes, that is my pc but I did not splurge on the water cooled gear. I liked the comment about "whisper quiet" operation. If I want to dispel the local jet noise, I just turn on this pc!
  4. Best answer
    With such a massive RAM upgrade, and considering that you really should be upgrading your CPU as well - I'd really think that a dual core is going to struggle with After Effects CS5 - you should just upgrade to a new computer, but keep your Dell XPS case if it can be reused, PSU and your GeForce 8800GT 512MB.

I suggest something like a Core i5 750 or Core i7 860, go for the i7 if you know for sure that CS5 will use HyperThreading - AE CS4 does not, IIRC. As for a motherboard - one of the best P55 motherboards would be the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro or Deluxe, which has SATA III and USB 3.0 - some features that you'd really like, considering you'd probably be transferring large files to computer with which you'd edit using AE CS5. If you really want this to be a professional workstation, I suggest getting a Core i7 930, an X58 motherboard - something like a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, and supports a max of 24GB, which allows for future expansion of RAM slots. Also, video editing is where triple-channel memory helps.
  5. This MSI mobo support 16GB in 4 slots.

Now, you have a good processor that can be OC until 3.8GHz.
  6. Thanks so much for the feedback people! I am hoping to cram any upgrades into the 14 month old XPS. I already have three other old pcs in my office. My logic was to first get a new mobo to hold 16MB ram. Then replace the CPU after I do the software upgrades down the road. While doing the mobo swap-out I would be adding at least one new hard drive or two. Given my budget and my re-training I have time to consider a new pc in 2-3 years. Really need the RAM now to take advantage of the Adobe SW.

Has anyone installed an OEM System Builder Pack? I have a sealed copy of Vista home premium 64 bit. I have been reading Microsoft doubletalk for a few days now and have two distinct methods which seem to fit my case...

Again, this site has given the best and fastest feedback I have come across. Thanks.

djg
  7. Any time, that's why we are here.
  8. Best answer selected by djg.
  9. djg said:
    Thanks so much for the feedback people! I am hoping to cram any upgrades into the 14 month old XPS. I already have three other old pcs in my office. My logic was to first get a new mobo to hold 16MB ram. Then replace the CPU after I do the software upgrades down the road. While doing the mobo swap-out I would be adding at least one new hard drive or two. Given my budget and my re-training I have time to consider a new pc in 2-3 years. Really need the RAM now to take advantage of the Adobe SW.

Has anyone installed an OEM System Builder Pack? I have a sealed copy of Vista home premium 64 bit. I have been reading Microsoft doubletalk for a few days now and have two distinct methods which seem to fit my case...

Again, this site has given the best and fastest feedback I have come across. Thanks.

djg

Are you going to be selling your old system board? Mine has just gone pop and i'm trying to track a replacment down! I'm in the UK
  10. saint19 said:
    Any time, that's why we are here.

Hey you seem really knowledgabe about computers so I have a question. I have a dell xps 730 and want to install more memory. I currently have (2) G.Skill DDR3 that say 2gb x 2. Is that 4gb per stick? I have four slots. Not sure what motherboard I have. It says Dell on it, that is all that I see. I want to know what the max memory I can fit in this computer, thanks
  11. Jobe818 said:
    Hey you seem really knowledgabe about computers so I have a question. I have a dell xps 730 and want to install more memory. I currently have (2) G.Skill DDR3 that say 2gb x 2. Is that 4gb per stick? I have four slots. Not sure what motherboard I have. It says Dell on it, that is all that I see. I want to know what the max memory I can fit in this computer, thanks

I have opened new thread for your question here. Its your thread now.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316808-30-memory-computer#t2118829
  12. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Motherboards Product