Red but not a Green Christmas....

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Will you still buy a GTX2xx card?!? Or will you wait for a DX11 Nvidia card out next year? Apparently this 'Fermi' card will be out late 1st quarter or even in Spring! I hope Nvidia makes some marketing plans and discounts their GPUs for the holiday.... this would be the only way to salvage their loss to the RV770 ATi cards. DX11 and crazy preformance will have killed Nvidia at the end of the GTX2xx lifespan if the prices dont go down....

But if prices get discounted by Nvidia I might think of buying a GTX285 OC(for $150-$200) instead of waiting for the DX11 cards or even to SLI, the crazy GTX295 is also an option, I would get this if it were $250-$300 right away! It would make me think twice about waiting for their next gen card and spend right away, especially other gamers that are thinking of buying or upgrading during the Xmas break.....

I guess the Red guys won Christmas and the Green is out for the count unless they really lower prices for their GPUS. If they don't then Xmas will not be Xmas without the green and the red!!!!!

For sad news click here on Nvidia's plans...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3659

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I am disappointed with the green team here. Usually, right around the same time the red guys come out with a new line of gpu, the green should have theirs in the market. With better performance, the greens usually charge a premium.

Now, come Q1 2010 when Fermi is out, do you think they are able to charge the same premium as before? I doubt the Fermi is going to outperform Cypress by a huge margin, even given such a long time to R&D. Perhaps less than 10%? This is only my speculation but the green team is certainly losing the war since it cannot have any great Christmas deals. Sure, it can slash prices of the GT200 but AMD can do much more with their HD5000.

This is not good for the market as competition between them is deteriorating as AMD gains the upperhand. However, it's always good to see the underdog, AMD winning once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.