Which one is best duel core or core duel or core 2 duo

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
which one is best duel core or core duel or core 2 duo
i am assuming english is not your first language lol as far as dual cores go don't even bother buying any cpu until after the core i3 chips come out in a week they are more than likely going to be the best dual cores around...right now for the money the phenom ll 550 is a good buy and intel core 2 duo e8400 is a great performer however the core i3's will be the best dual cores available

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
All you list are dual cores. The last 2 are EOL /end-of-life "spintel" socket 775 cpu's. That socket has no future. Dualcore could mean AMD or spintel.

If you are buying new, research "unlocking an AMD dual core on an MSI motherboard" cos you might end up with a quadcore.

AMD socket AM3 is current and is not EOL, and is upgradeable. It is currently in use with new cpu's (dual, triple, and quad) (and in 2010 a 6-core). This gives you many options now and in foreseeable future. Choice of motherboard affects the future options also; but getting a current "live" socket at least keeps the cpu options wide open. Beyond that consider the featured hardware built into the mobo - esp. the capabilities of the onboard video, if any. For example, onboard Radeon 3000-4000 series means you pretty much have home theatre (HTPC) capability for cheap - esp. if an HDMI port is included on the mobo. (see 785G chipset) (esp. with PCIe x16 slot for adding discrete videocard for fullscale gaming capability).

Your own research can lead you where you really want to go - and that is the most reliable unbiased information. I have a heavy AMD bias because I have done my own research. Beyond that I don't support monopoly and antitrust tactics - there's a lot of press about that these days; most recently with FTC vs spintel.

I don't know why you asked your question; but I hope this helps you or others.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

Crystal ball prediction? Or just a recitation of spintel's latest propaganda.

I predict that the spintel-compiled benchmarks, compiled with the spintel COMPILER, will ENSURE that the spintel item will WIN - since said compiler is well known to effectively CRIPPLE any competitors cpu.

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/david-manners-semiconductor-blog/2009/12/intel-skewed-compilers-to-slow.html

QUOTATED

"Apparently, Intel also put code its compilers which would slow down any PC which used an AMD chip."

QUOTATED

Ummm - perhaps you could also predict that the public will deliberately bend over and ok this too. Sound about right? Ya think maybe maybe the FTC is onto something here? - it's old news to a lot of people. You live under a rock? - think the rest of us should join you?

I don't support monopoly or antitrust tactics - and I have learned too much from several other countries that already went after similar nasty stuff.

BENCHMARKETING - and the benches are RIGGED; and there's more to the story as well.

hey - it's old news to those who know, and have been trying to tell you for a long time. ya wanna support the dark side?

(not just me - lotsa "AMD fanboys" know all about this for years.

What's amazing is that AMD has been competing - despite this impairment - that's the dirty market that they must compete in - time to fix it.

And still AMD wins on some of spintel "home turf".

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Yeh - you mentioned that before - take your personal agenda elsewhere - you know not what you do, nor do you care. I am not a subject for your discussion - wanna push some more? I am not a zoner. You know that already, dontcha.

end of disruption of thread?

Upendra09

Distinguished
I think the OP is talking about

Pentium Dual core
Core Duo
and then Core 2 duo

the pentium is the new celeron, except fasster
core duo is socket 775 and old
core 2 duo is also socket 775 and new depending on the model number ex. Txxxx, Pxxxx, Exxxx But it is not going to be used anymore due to the upcoming release of i3 and upcoming i5s.

E is used for desktops and good for gaming, the P and T are for laptops
There is more info here

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/about/core.htm

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Crush?
Are you talking about CPU benchmark scores per dollar? Performance and value are two different things. Of course you can spend $999 on an Intel CPU that will crush a $225 AMD CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2492-2.html

Best gaming CPUs at price levels:
$65 - AMD
$80 - AMD
$90 - Tie
$100 - Tie
$120 - 2 mentions for AMD, 1 for Intel
$165 - AMD
$1,000 - Intel (Of course, since AMD doesn't sell a CPU at that price range but if they did, who knows what they would come up with but I'm guessing it would have more value than Intel)

Who's crushing who?

Intel wins in the higher end quad market, $200 and up.

Overall, it's a rehash of what reviewers have been saying: AMD for budget builds and Intel for higher end builds

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

WOW!!! That list really includes the new Intel CPUs that are coming next Thursday. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Competition is a healthy thing so I would like to see Intel do better with their latest CPUs. This way, AMD will further lower their prices or else come out with better CPUs too. I just consider myself an informed consumer and no fanboy of either AMD or Intel.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

OK - play the "Future" Card. It doesn't include AMD's future offerings - and those will crush what you now recommend people support. So, where does it end - when you say it's ok?

And the list doesn't mention the "unavailable lost opportunities". Spintel stifles innovation through sleezy tricks such as "benchmarket"ing - in which the competitors are crippled by compilers and instrux sets (etc).

Tricking the public into buying based on benches lines the monopoly pockets, which stifles innovation from the competition's R&D.

Add to this the well known symptoms of several previous and ongoing "antiitrust" cases.

Currently the US has FINALLY taken up the cause thru the FTC. But the FTC is being pretty thorough in it's approach - going after most of it.

I suppose people think I dream this stuff up. There's even more to it than that - and it is EASILY RESEARCHED so you can VERIFY IT FOR YOURSELF.

If you KNOW about this, about the fines, the details of the antitrust abuses, the compilers (old news), the instruction sets (old news and also a current issue), (etc MANY other KNOWN details, etc) - the benches compiled with (advantage spintel) (if not spintel, then Cripple or detour, or otherwise waste clox, or utilize OLD instrux sets as fallback)
- then you can only start to see > that amd coming CLOSE in benchmarks is quite amazing
- and you start to wonder - what if we had a fair competition where both competitors were free to fully excel, to fully utilize all available resources, to not be hampered - think really clean competition, as in Olympics.

Then we would see that we really should be at least 5 years ahead of where we are now
- AND IN THAT WAY, YOU as a consumer, have been crippled, led astray, used and abused, and discarded, repeatedly.

If you are "satisfied" with all that, then support it, and continue in ignorant bliss.

This stuff is all public information,
and it's all over the internet.
The details are all available,
the subtleties require one to think and consider.

The situation has been developing for years - I really don't know when it began. But somehow, somewhere, sometime - the majority MARKETSHARE was simply not enough. And now, $billion fines are mere incentives to simply pay (like a parking ticket), and continue on - the profits are what? - 10 times the fines? And still people support it, promote it, advocate it - and claim to be "satisfied" - well, what part of all this is so satisfying - is it the part where you justify whatever you blissfully do? It's not that the public is to blame - the public is the ultimate victim at the hands of a ruthless, seemingly above the law monopoly.

And you "spin" this anyway you want - it's not about to go away until somebody bigger says it's game over.

And there are packs of dogs at the door....

Do your own research. There's more to it than what I say. It's even worse.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Until your posts become somewhat coherent, I am done with you.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
it is already known that I will exceed your currently desired capacity for abstract thought - but that you can ignore the obvious, is about you - not me
- I have no use for "done with you" (I am not your job) - but that will be fine. thx. there is just nothing to lose, in any of this. there is only win. and I know there is more to you than what you play. I would that be revealed; but that is for you, as you will for you.

Upendra09

Distinguished

spintel is a fanboy name for intel

I don't believe SighQ2 is an AMD fanboy, he is too modest

as for your problem, is it solved?

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

Thank you. Modesty is a high compliment.

Alas, I am strong in my preference and support for AMD. I have admitted to being a "fanboy" but that's merely a restrictive label.

I simply won't support a lying sleezy underhanded unbridled monopoly that has no respect for anything except more money, and is willing to suck it out of any fool.

I read AMD's mission statement - it speaks of collaboration. spintel speaks of telling you what to do. It starts there - the rest is scandalous - unless you totally lack a personal notion of moral character. I don't really think anyone here is that way. To me it is simply logical to support AMD - but it is also emotional, and much of that is triggered by a desire for honesty, truth, fair competition, and a better world for me to live in; and you are all welcome in that beautiful place - indeed, we already have that.
For me, it starts with the choices I make.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Not getting into anything here and not trying to but when you say:
"lying sleezy underhanded unbridled monopoly that has no respect for anything except more money, and is willing to suck it out of any fool."
This is capitalism at work, a company does what it needs to in order to make the most profit for the smallest effort in the most efficient way no matter how it affects others, thats how companies survive. Companies that dont do this are usually the ones in 2nd place not 1st and we all know that 2nd place is the first losing place. Thats why Intel currently dominates the market, go to any large company, look at the workstations of employees...what do you see?...Intel, look at the servers, what do you see?...a big sticker saying "Intel Inside". Because of thier ruthlessness and intelligence, Intel does a damn good job in advertizing, fooling the consumer which is what they are supposed to do, sell their product, and make the most profit possible and in the most efficient way possible.

Then again thats just my opinion, interesting to see what other people think :)

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
And you guys up there are seriously derailing this thread, I bet the OP doesn't even understand all this talk about your AMD/Intel fanboyism.

I think he's talking about the Pentium Dual-Core, Core Duo and the Core 2 Duo. All of them are from Intel.

The Pentium DC is based on 65nm and 45nm 'CORE' architecture, and is considered a lower end model of the Core 2 Duo.

The Core Duo is NOT based on Core architecture and is based on an enhanced P6-T (Pentium III, Pentium M) architecture. They are mobile processors and will not fit in any LGA 775 socket, as some others here have incorrectly stated.

The Core 2 Duo is a range of 65 and 45nm processors based on Core architecture. They are soon to be replaced by the Core i3, based on Nehalem architecture which is much faster. Out of those three you mentioned, the Core 2 Duo is best. But with their outrageous prices (E8xxx series) in terms of price/performance compared with AMD's own 45nm Phenom II X2 dual-cores.

They are all dual cores; now you need to be more specific with the processor brands and what you intend to buy