Solved

HD 4650 in 3-Way Crossfire

I was wondering if 3 HD 4650's will do 3 way crossfire? I'm in the process of finally upgrading and I'm exploring all my options. I might invest in a motherboard with 3 pci-e 16x slots if it can be done with these budget cards. And yes, I am on a budget, but I have a friend who has a 4650 he might give me for free. :bounce:
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4650 crossfire
  1. Very little return on the tri-fire for these cards. They are very bandwidth limited, low shader count, and won't scale well overall.

    Save the money on the MoBo, and invest is a significantly better card, even the HD5750 should far outperform 3 X HD4650, let alone a better card.
  2. Best answer
    wingedgecko said:
    I was wondering if 3 HD 4650's will do 3 way crossfire? I'm in the process of finally upgrading and I'm exploring all my options. I might invest in a motherboard with 3 pci-e 16x slots if it can be done with these budget cards. And yes, I am on a budget, but I have a friend who has a 4650 he might give me for free. :bounce:


    4650 is a bad card for gaming even in a monstrous 3 way crossfire (will only eat power and you will get lame FPS). Get a single 4770/5770 and be done with it. This way you don't have to invest in a motherboard with 3 pci-e slots and you will get good FPS in all games with resolution 1680x1050 or lower.
  3. TheGreatGrapeApe said:
    Very little return on the tri-fire for these cards. They are very bandwidth limited, low shader count, and won't scale well overall.

    Save the money on the MoBo, and invest is a significantly better card, even the HD5750 should far outperform 3 X HD4650, let alone a better card.


    Lol, you were faster. Took too long to write the damn post :))
  4. So they will support it then...still good info to know. But I think you are right, going to invest in the newer 5770. Then around tax time I'll get a second one. Thanks!
  5. hallowed_dragon said:
    Lol, you were faster. Took too long to write the damn post :))


    Well , I guess getting it right, explaining why and being first doesn't count if the OP voted for you. :heink:
  6. TheGreatGrapeApe said:
    Well , I guess getting it right, explaining why and being first doesn't count if the OP voted for you. :heink:


    Maybe he likes dragons more than apes :D
  7. I guess. ;)
  8. LOL I do actually like Grape Ape! I used to watch the cartoon when I was a kid. But I must admit, I do love dragons. :love: Hence my handle "winged gecko"...what do you call a flying lizard?

    But I also appreciate your answer as well. I hit the button and didn't realize what that was...new feature, and I don't post very often. So I hope you can forgive me? :hello:
  9. No worries, I was only making fun of the first/best situation.

    I never take anything here too seriously.... I'm too drunk for that !! [:thegreatgrapeape:3]
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Crossfire HD Graphics