Gpu buying troubles due to amazing deals?

ssarti

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hello all - let me start off by saying that i have browsed this forum anonymously for a while now and i am very pleased with the good answers and advice received by doubtful question askers like myself so thanks a lot all you helpful people. OK now to my problem.
so with the release of the hd5xxx series, i thought it was now time to replace my ailing hd4650. so i went to my resident pc store and found the powercolor hd5850 at 240 bucks. now i was about to buy it when my eye caught the 'promotions' section. there was a lot there, probably a fall stock reducing sale or some big welcome for windows 7. Now two deals REALLY got me excited! a GAINWARD GTX 280 at 150 bucks and a RAMPAGE 700 at 220 bucks!!!! the rampage 700 got me drooling and i was about to buy it but i thought i would first ask the experts. i really want to buy it but my one little twinge of guilt is that it is already sort of 'old-tech'ish whereas the 5850 is sparkling new! what would you guys do?

As for the graphics card, the HD 5850 would be slightly powerful than the GTX 280 would consume less power as like you know is next gen GPU...
As for Rampage 700, yup thats a solid deal...If you are not concerned about DirectX 11 and just want sheer power, then get the 700...But be ready to deal with crossfire issues...
And just make sure you have a good power supply...

ssarti

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
thank you for the reply! hmmm your probably right compared to my other two choices, the gtx 280 doesnt really hold up! and my primary want is just a powerful card, as by the time dx 11 games become mainstream, there'll be more and possibly better cards to choose from!! thanks i think i'll stick to the rampage 700 go to hell edition!! lol i just hope its still there since such a good deal really does attract all the hungry wolves

Latest posts