Memory or MB to blame for mem errors?

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
My rig is in my sig...

I've gotten some memory errors with my ballistix and my firestix. They're underclocked at 750mhz because of a linked / synced FSB at 1500mhz ... gives me a total overclock of 3.3ghz

I RMAed my first set of ballistix because of an error after testing each stick ... one had errors.

I get the new set and do my memtest86+ ... When I have them seated alternately (1gb firestix, 1gb ballistix, 1gb firestix, 1gb ballistix) I got errors.

I tested each stick individually again ... no errors!! :pfff: What gives!? :sweat:

I've tried reseating them in a different configuration (1gb firestix, 1gb firestix, 1gb ballistix, 1gb ballistix) and got ONE error after 8+ hours of testing.

I don't know what is to blame: the memory in general, the crucial and buffalo brands working together (they're both DDR2-800), the 680i MB slots, the overclock, or WHAT?!

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Solution
Yes. Generally, higher voltages will help unstable memory. Also, and again generally, when you run 4 sticks it is not unusual to have to bump the voltage slightly higher to get all 4 sticks to work correctly...you simply have more system overhead with 4 sticks. Most people suggest that you run 2 2gb sticks rather that 4 1 gig sticks.
Since your memory has heat spreaders, I don't think you will have to worry too much about overvolting a little.
Sometimes different memory simply does not like to play well together.
I think the Firestix run at 2.1volts, and the Crucial runs at 2.2?
Set the voltage in your BIOS manually for the memory to 2.2 or 2.22, something like that, right at or slightly over what the higher volted set needs and try that.

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Thanks, jitpublisher...

I'm running the memory at 2.1, as I've heard that running at 2.2 with this particular motherboard (nvidia 680i) has a tendency to fry the ram.

I was ACTUALLY running it at 1.85 a few months ago. Would that have had anything to do with memory errors?

How does voltage effect memory consistency / accuracy?

Yes. Generally, higher voltages will help unstable memory. Also, and again generally, when you run 4 sticks it is not unusual to have to bump the voltage slightly higher to get all 4 sticks to work correctly...you simply have more system overhead with 4 sticks. Most people suggest that you run 2 2gb sticks rather that 4 1 gig sticks.
Since your memory has heat spreaders, I don't think you will have to worry too much about overvolting a little.

Solution