Anything i've missed?

alexbruce

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hey,

Not really sure I actually need advice, but I wanted to show someone else my thinking in case there were any loop holes I’d missed.

Basically ATM I’m running my current server as follows:

P4 2.8 GHz (model 511)
2 x 512mb DDR2
1x 40GB IDE (OS)
1 x 1tb Green WD (Storage)
1 x DVD Rom
1 x 120mm fan
1 x 80mm fan

After using the PSU calculator here http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine I found out that my system uses roughly 150w of power, they don't actually have my processor but by selecting the one with closest clock speed it's not going to be far off...

I found a calculation to work out how much your pc uses and it is... (from http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/computers.html)

Watts * Hours used = X
X/ 1000 = z
Z * cost per k/w per hour = YOUR TOTAL COST PER HOUR/DAY/WEEK/YEAR ETC…

Using that calculation my server which runs 24/7 costs me £183.96 a year

I was mulling over the idea of making a mini-itx system, but EVERY case I can find will only house 1 3.5" drive which is no good as I will be expanding shortly...

So I got thinking of using a low powered CPU, but the only ones with a big difference are AMD and a new mobo + CPU = £70-80 which is cheap, but ultimately counterproductive to my wallet

I've settled on using my current C2D processor (e6300 and currently in my HTPC) but underclocking it to 800 MHz (dual core so total of 1.6 GHz) and lowering voltage to 1.05v (still to fully test stability but lowest it will boot at)

With this CPU and removing the 40GB IDE, DVD Rom (after OS installation) and going from 2 x 512 to 1 x 2 GB ram I can lower the total wattage down to 62w

Which will cost me £76 a year, and from what I can see it will run everything I need to, and be cooler to boot.

In turn I can then transfer my P4 set up to become my HTPC which isn't used nearly as much...

This will give me a total saving of £107.96 per year..

What do you think?

Can you see any major drawbacks or faults with my logic?

Alex.

bob_vicktor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
How long do you plan on running this server before your next big upgrade?
My newly purchased dual core runs at lower temps with less juice then my old P4, and is five times as powerful (according to Sandra).
Point being, it might be cheaper to actually buy another C2D (or at least a Pentium Dual Core), and then you wouldn't have to cripple your HTCP. I had a 3.0Ghz (as of last week) and it struggled with HD video.

Just something to consider.