Need Help W/ A Mild Gaming Build

cianide522

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
We Have A Budget Of 1200 For A New Pc, I Am Open For Either Amd Or Intel, I Have A Preference Over Intel But If Your Able To Budget A Build Better That Would Be Wonderful. Looking For A Range Of 4 To 8Gb Of Ram, At Least A Tb Of Hard Drive Space. I Would Like To Crossfire/Sli If Possible But If Theres A Card That Performs Better Off One Then Im All For It. The Games We Will Be Playing Are Left4dead, World Of Warcraft, Call Of Duty Modernwarfare. Pc Will Also Be Used For Music, Internet Browsing, Messengers, And Downloading Big Files. We Would Be Looking To Order Parts By The Middle Of November Maybe The End. I Normally Shop At Newegg But If There Is A Better Priced Website I Am Open For Change. I Am Not Interested In Overclocking.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As Late As Middle To End Of November

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming(Left4dead, World Of Warcraft, Call Of Duty Series), Music, Movies, Downloading Large Files, Internet Browsing, Online Messengers

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:Newegg.com But Up For Other Sites
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA(Texas)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Usually A Intel/Radeon Guy But I Am Up For A Change

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: If Better Performance is Proven

MONITOR RESOLUTION:Ill Also Be Purchasing A ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitorhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 For My Monitor (Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Noise Is Not An Issue, If Possible Would Like To Try Raid0

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Waiting till black friday is a great way to save some money. And since deals will change anyway, I'll only speak in generalizations and maybe hope to narrow your search.

I'd go AMD with your scenario. Since you have the budget for a 955 or 965 and are not going to be overclocking, you have to pay for stock speeds. Those CPUs will get you 3.2 or 3.4ghz. If you went with the equivalently priced Intel, you'll only be getting 2.66ghz.

For AMD, the mobo you'll want will be an AM3 only board with the 790GX or 790FX or 790X chipset. All 3 will let you crossfire cards but not SLI, so you'll want to get ATI gpus. Probably look at the 5850 if you can squeeze it in.

A 650w - 750w PSU will be enough, just look for one with 4xpcie connections from a quality builder. Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, Enermax on higher power PSUs are a few good brands.

The Spinpoint F3 line of HDDs are excellent for the price.

4gigs of DDR3 ram will be more than enough.

Hope this helps, I'd post again just a few days before for current pricing/deals or if you have further questions, keep asking those too.

cianide522

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
What it Be Better If I Decided To Oc? I Have A E8400 On Ud3r Board With An Aftermarket Cooler And Was Set On Ocing It But I Liked The Stock Speed So Much I Didnt See A Need To Lol, But If Its A Better Thing Price Wise Id Be More Than Willing

scubba85

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
The e8400 isnt a bad chip, my e8500 is @ 4ghz and i love it for the price, but it will bottleneck modern graphics cards even with overclocking.

An i5 build with a 5850 would probably fit right into that budget, once i get a break from work ill look up some parts.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Yes, OCing your E8400 would be the most cost effective route to go right now. IF it did become the limiting factor in performance before the GPU, you'll already be playing at smooth frame rates, that you won't notice.

As requested, please list all of your system. If I had known you had an E8400 on a gigabyte board, I would have never mentioned a new build.

cianide522

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Im Trying For A 2nd Build For My Wife, If Another e8400 Is More Suggested Ill Prob Get Another, But If I Can Get A Budget Build On A e8500 Then I Will Have To Give Her My Old One Lol

cianide522

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I Apologize But This Is For A 2nd Build For My Wife

cianide522

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I Have Built A Pc Before Off Of A e8400 In The Past, But That Has Nothing To Do Off This Build