Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wife says no to spending $ on Computer

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2009 8:58:44 PM

I've spent a lot of money on upgrades, software and useless computer stuff.
Wife is mad and will not let me spend anymore for sometime (Prob a year). Should I cancel my MAXPC magazine as to not be tempted?

More about : wife spending computer

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 9:02:24 PM

With the internet and google at your disposal I don't know why you'd want to waste money on a magazine anyway?

One can still read articles and reviews to remain on top of technology advancements without actually buying the stuff so in that regard it doesn't hurt to keep reading but as I say a magazine just seems such a waste when you have the internet and bookmarks.
December 31, 2009 9:05:11 PM

Good point. I just don't see the point in getting a magazine either, especially when it's really just a clever advertisement tool. When you don't have the money, not the brightest idea to be reading and getting ideas.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
December 31, 2009 9:39:12 PM

We all need our bathroom reading material, which is where my MaxPC sits :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 9:51:42 PM

I've gotten that mag over a span of years. No need when you have the net....dropped my subscription....$24 for 2 years too. ..... don't you just love those 8 and 10 page adds ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 9:59:25 PM

tecmo34 said:

And here I thought Hugh Hefner had exclusive rights to that location. :lol: 
m
l
December 31, 2009 10:03:54 PM

Magazines?... it`s still around in 2010?

Also... what softwares are you buying? Try freewares!

As for parts... purchase with future proof in mind. I never upgrade my system because I never need to. I end up purchasing a whole new system at each 4 years and sell the other one.
m
l
December 31, 2009 10:43:15 PM

I didnt know Tom's had a sniveler's lounge.

I see 3 problems:

1...spent a lot of money on usless stuff.
2...Wife is mad
3...MAXPC magazine

Here is my advice..2c worth

Quit spending money on useless stuff trying to satisfy your addiction.
Get rid of the MAXPC magazine.
Spend more time with your wife than with your computer. Take her out to dinner and give her a really nice gift..tell her how much you love her.
Start saving money for that upgrade you want. Figure out what you really dont need in your daily expences and put that money away.
Show your wife you are trying to be responsible.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 11:01:51 PM

knotknut said:

Show your wife you are trying to be responsible.

Yes indeed.

Show her you're being responsible and let her go spend the money you save on shoes. :D 
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 31, 2009 11:09:21 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
Yes indeed.

Show her you're being responsible and let her go spend the money you save on shoes. :D 

So true :) 

As my wife says, "What is mine is hers, what is hers is hers"
m
l
a c 889 à CPUs
December 31, 2009 11:14:24 PM

cletus_slackjawd said:
Wife is mad and will not let me spend anymore for sometime (Prob a year). Should I cancel my MAXPC magazine as to not be tempted?

Hmmm? Upgrade wife?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 11:38:29 PM

tecmo34 said:
So true :) 

As my wife says, "What is mine is hers, what is hers is hers"

:lol:  Sounds familiar.

Mine always said "what's yours is ours, and what's mine is none of your business".

Now she's single and what's mine is none of her business. Ironic? Maybe. :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 11:40:08 PM

rolli59 said:
Hmmm? Upgrade wife?

Could try and RMA her. :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 11:58:24 PM

Get a new wife, find one who has a great-paying job and wants to support you and your hobbies, you know - make you happy!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2010 2:42:02 AM

tecmo34 said:

AGGGGREEEEEEDDDDD
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
January 1, 2010 3:33:18 AM

Poor guy. My fiance is fine with it as long as I am not overspending money we don't have. I want to build her a new PC but she wont let me, yet.

She knows I have a addiction to PCs and building the but she has other activities that keep me busy.......
m
l
January 1, 2010 4:15:13 AM

Take her aside and explain that modern civilization is base on consumer indebteness, and that as a good citizen it is your responsibility to spend more than you make. Therefore, the choice simply comes down to what you are spending in excess on... Point out your neighbors Big-Foot truck, the Bass Boat that belongs to the guy across the street, the John Deere riding mower that the dude with the 1/4 acre rides, the Bimbo with Bolt-Ons who suns in the front yard, and then your plethora of computers. Ask her what she'd rather you were buying, and with any luck it will be one of the last two...
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
January 1, 2010 7:02:55 AM

Cute, guys, cute.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2010 12:55:29 PM

If you switched to the Macintosh platform and spent exhorbant amounts of money I could see her getting mad.Otherwise as a hobby PC building and upgrades is not too expensive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2010 1:04:44 PM

show her the beauty of online shopping
m
l
January 1, 2010 4:20:02 PM

obsidian86 said:
show her the beauty of online shopping

That's pretty much the gateway to hell, for us (and our wallet of course).
m
l
January 1, 2010 4:44:37 PM

its cheaper to rent wives then to own one.

so cancel the wife. and keep the magazines. IMHO~! pity i don't follow my own advice.

arg, goto go, got wife-agro.bbl
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:15:22 AM

Keep spending your money on computer stuff. If you don't, she'll spend the money on stupid *** like potpourri and relationship enhancement seminars.
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:34:20 AM

cletus_slackjawd said:

DIVORCE!!!
m
l
January 4, 2010 11:56:13 AM

Asking here shows you want to kick the wife to the curb. to ask this question on a PC nerd site show you want a bias answer. therefore at least there was a subconscious effort of you wanting a gentle push to motivate you.

just tell us how it goes, im sure 50% of us are thinking the same thing as you just don't have the balls to admit it.

anyways, any gamer chicks left?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 12:54:35 PM

cletus_slackjawd said:

Cry your eyes out, say " You just dont understand me any more since we got the dog", " I feel all neglected and all alone", " How much did that cost - you didnt have to spend that.. ", " You never let me have what I want".

OR

Kick her out..

Im a lesbo gaming chick if that helps :) 

off to munch carpet right now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 7:05:04 PM

My advice is to do the bills. It keeps her spending in check and allows you the ability to let her know what fits in the budget. You also can fudge a little bit about the prices of the parts your buying.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 8:37:56 PM

RIKHOLLIS said:
... the Bimbo with Bolt-Ons...

LOL - I gotta add that one to my vocabulary :) ...
m
l
January 7, 2010 11:20:00 PM

I love how this thread evolved. Many nice points and funny too.
m
l
!