Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Case fans for rx480

Last response: in Overclocking
January 30, 2012 6:06:54 PM

I'm getting a raystorm rx 480 for my build . I'm setting it up in a push / pull config . So with 8 fans I'm rightly concerned with noise level . So what fans ( beside noctua ) would you suggest for good airflow and reasonably low noise . Led's welcome for this application . All thoughts appreciated as always . :hello: 

More about : case fans rx480

a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2012 8:05:29 PM

What sort of delta are you trying to hit? If you're not quite concerned about performance, there are many options. Xigmatek makes some good low noise (sub-20 dBA) that still push 50-60 CFM, and they have all sorts of colors and LEDs.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 30, 2012 8:45:08 PM

I have 9 Gelid blue wings in my build, nice looking and quiet,
Moto
Related resources
January 31, 2012 12:04:14 AM

I like Enermax fans. They have really good quality fans. I like to stay at 1,800 rms the most. Probably will go higher but not more than 2,500 rpm if really needed. Any fans advertised as silent at 2,500 rpm can be very noisy at full speed.

By the way, I got several CM Excalibur 120 mm fans that I've used only for few weeks that I'm planning to sell as well as several Enermax TB Silent 140 mm fans that I never used. Let me know if you're interested.

a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 12:10:37 AM

Scythe Ultra Kaze's...2000's or 3000's on a controller. But you all knew that from me. :) 
January 31, 2012 12:18:44 AM

Ultra Kaze are good fans too if you don't mind the noise. Some of this fans have high RPMs.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 12:22:26 AM

They are also much thicker than normal 25mm fans- 38mm I believe.

Buy screws accordingly. Chain mail gloves to cover fingers are also a good idea.
January 31, 2012 2:40:37 AM

Before I go any further let me say up front that I'm only a little over a week in to knowing anything about watercooling . Ty to rubix for trying to educate me in a previous thread . From what I've read thus far I believe I should be trying to hit a delta of between 5 and 10 degrees c . I'm willing to put up with a reasonable amount of noise in exchange for good performance and yes I plan to add a controller to that end as well . In the proposed loop I plan to include the cpu and two gpu's if you think the rx 480 is up to that . The led's wouldnr normally be neccessary but Im building a custom encloser out of anodized black aluminium to match the case and want to dress it up a bit .
January 31, 2012 12:11:12 PM

So you are going external on this build. To save some time, just buy a radiator stand similar to the picture below & put the biggest radiator you want. Maybe you can wrap metal sheet on it.

The problem with this kind of custom set up is that you need to solder the fan wires in parallel. If you do it in series, the fans wont run on same speed. Depending in your soldering skill, this can be very tricky.

Wiring can be a problem in external set up coz it will create some mess. It would be best to connect it with molex.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 12:19:59 PM

rufus_22 said:
Before I go any further let me say up front that I'm only a little over a week in to knowing anything about watercooling . Ty to rubix for trying to educate me in a previous thread . From what I've read thus far I believe I should be trying to hit a delta of between 5 and 10 degrees c . I'm willing to put up with a reasonable amount of noise in exchange for good performance and yes I plan to add a controller to that end as well . In the proposed loop I plan to include the cpu and two gpu's if you think the rx 480 is up to that . The led's wouldnr normally be neccessary but Im building a custom encloser out of anodized black aluminium to match the case and want to dress it up a bit .

A week isn't nearly enough to grasp everything you'll need to understand for the entire lifespan of your loop. You are barely even scratching the surface- most people that take a few months to figure out what they want and plan well do much, much better. If you rush into this, you'll quickly find out that you would have chosen to do things far differently than if you had gone through a well thought out plan. I'm only trying to help you...but taking your time and researching what is best for you is strongly advised.
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 1:15:20 PM

cougar fans are very good performers.
January 31, 2012 2:39:12 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/322532-13-tidy-wire...

I would take the wires from all fans and put them into two molex blocks, four fans on each, and as Rubix said, the longer you research and plan, the better

Moto

I would probably do (1) single molex connection via PCI slot extension. I did this little project of mine before - connecting (5) small 30 mm fans on parallel & it's really a pain in the behind. Soldering those tiny wires can be difficult specially if you're not a pro with soldering. I tried sleeving the wires but I gave up sleeving it coz there's too many short interconnections it's impossible to sleeve the wires.

Here's what I did in pictures. I scrub off this project coz I later think it's just too much to see (5) fans with very minimal cooling performance. It did work though. Not so surprising, if you ask most of the experts at overclock.net, they well tell you that you can't run this small fans all together in a single 3-pin power connection on your motherboard. Out of curiousity, I tried connecting this fans on the 3-pin power connection of my motherboard & it did run without any problems at all. I guess it's just pure bs again with the experts.

I cut off the tachometer (yellow 3rd wire) at the last minute coz I heard its best to run the fans via molex though I later learned that connecting this on my motherboard's power fan is no problem.

You can probably connect those fans with the wires in your fan controller (you said you intended to use a fan controller) & sleeve it but it would be pushing it in terms of hiding the wiring mess.
January 31, 2012 2:53:05 PM

The problem with this kind of wiring connection is that the one doing this just bundled the wires together & wrapping it. There's no parallel or series connection done on this kind of set up. You still have (3) fan connectors to connect.

To put it, this is a very ghettoish way of connecting multiple fans.
January 31, 2012 4:08:40 PM

Cheaptrick said:
So you are going external on this build. To save some time, just buy a radiator stand similar to the picture below & put the biggest radiator you want. Maybe you can wrap metal sheet on it.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg713/scaled.php?server=713&filename=1111ox.png&res=medium

The problem with this kind of custom set up is that you need to solder the fan wires in parallel. If you do it in series, the fans wont run on same speed. Depending in your soldering skill, this can be very tricky.

Wiring can be a problem in external set up coz it will create some mess. It would be best to connect it with molex.

Can you use butt-connectors to wire the in series rather than soldering ?
January 31, 2012 4:15:07 PM

No threat of me jumping the gun on the build for two reasons . First I hate buyers remorse and will agonize these decisions forever b4 I actually pull out the credit card ,and second this time of the year is very slow for construction so its gonna be another month before Im ready to order anything beyond small ticket items . Which is why I liked the idea of building a custom enclosure . For $30.00 in mats I can build an 8 x 6 x 24 inch aluminum unit to housr the rx 480 and eight fans . Ty for the fan round up link btw.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 4:49:34 PM

No probs, I was actually happy to see 4Ryan had done it myself :) 

@cheaptrick, the link there was originally done just to show proximon an idea, he was putting all six onto a fancontroller, its not a ghetto way, its the using a fancontroller for each fan separately way :p 
but theres no reason that it can't be adapted of course, like I said in when I posted it,
**I would take the wires from all fans and put them into two molex blocks, four fans on each**
half of this game is the 'on the move' changes and last minute alterations, partially why I love it :) 
and ** I guess it's just pure bs again with the experts**
I love that statement, screw what the 'experts' say and find a way to make it happen, +points for the attitude man :) 
Moto
January 31, 2012 4:49:44 PM

You can buy a Swiftech radiator mount that's less expensive ($18.00)...

January 31, 2012 5:01:07 PM

rufus_22 said:
Can you use butt-connectors to wire the in series rather than soldering ?

You can use (2) 3 fans splitter wires (1 for the 3 fans & 2 for 6 fans) but it's still messy. Using a fan speed controller controlling 6 fans externally using (6) 3-pin fan controller wires also is very messy.

You can't do a series connection on the fans coz the fans (lets say its 120 mm in size) gets lots of power from other fans on the series connection you'll end up probably having fans running less than half of the speed. If you have a faulty wiring on a single fan of the series connection or if one of the fans doesn't work then all your fans won't work.

You can only do a parallel connection with this fans.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 5:21:57 PM

**Using a fan speed controller controlling 6 fans externally using (6) 3-pin fan controller wires also is very messy. **
Not if your cable management is up to par :p 
but that was originally why I posted that up for Proxi, to try and help tidy things up some,
I have 8x120's on a F/C unit on my rig, another on a waterblock mod I did (powered off Cpu socket) and I have very little of any cabling/tubing on show hehe,
/Agree on the series comment though, past experience shows 5 120's on one series makes fans 4+5 suffer badly, although 4x80mm's are happy enough on parallel
Moto
February 1, 2012 1:42:10 AM

Wow lotz of info there but I think I'm getting it . So with 8 fans divied up between two molex conectors can I control them as two seperate banks ( i.e. ) intake bank , exhaust bank ?

Best solution

February 1, 2012 4:06:22 AM

If you have (4) push & (4) pull fans then connect the push fans in parallel as well as the other (4) pull fans in parallel. By doing this you have (1) 3-pin (non-PWM) connection for your push fans & another (1) 3-pin (non-PWM) connection for your pull fans. You only need (2) fan controller connections to control the push & pull fans separately. You don't do Molex connections on you fans as you can't control fan speed with direct Molex connections (Molex doesn't have tachometer function). Your controller usually have a single Molex connection to power it.

And you don't need to buy a PWM 4-pin fan for your set up as you're not gonna have the motherboard control your fan speed but a fan controller add on. Get a 3-pin fan for your set up. Though it's easier to wire fans in series, it's impossible for you to get the same fan speed with multiple fans with bigger wattage. If you do it parallel, use only the 1st tachometer wire & cut off the remaining tachometer wires on any additional fans in parallel. If you connect the other tachometer wires your fan controller will get confused in controlling the fan speed.

Here's the schematic of parallel wiring (without tachometer wire)...

But remember, as I said before - it's not easy to solder wires. You need a higher wattage solder (preferably a soldering gun) to do it. I used a soldering wand before & it's extremely hard to melt the solder much more having the solder stick on wires.
February 1, 2012 2:10:53 PM

Great answer . Ty for the schematic . Visuals are huge for my learning curve . Question : does the ability to handle the number of fans in an array vary by brand or model or does the molex provide enough juice regaurdless ? Also ( off topic ) I'm thinking more and more that I may begin the build with a dedicated internal cpu loop and then build an external waterbox ( 480 x 2 ) for adding the gpu's, memory , and mobo cooling as $ allows . That being said would a single hi -performance 140mm rad do or go for the 120 x 2 ?
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 2:40:21 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking more and more that I may begin the build with a dedicated internal cpu loop and then build an external waterbox ( 480 x 2 ) for adding the gpu's, memory , and mobo cooling as $ allows . That being said would a single hi -performance 140mm rad do or go for the 120 x 2 ?

If you've read the sticky, you'll know you don't need to WC RAM. You also don't really need to WC MB components...only exception might be NB. And are you speaking in terms of 2 loops? You don't need 2 loops, 1 loop would perform better with the same components and same radiators that would be used in 2 separate loops. (also discussed in the WC sticky)
February 1, 2012 2:41:37 PM

You're beginning to go on same route I'm currently heading (that is doing internal & in addition going external).

Anyway, between a single high performance 140 mm rad & dual 120 mm rad, I'll go with dual 120 mm rad even if the 120 mm rad is thinner. You have (2) additional push & pull fans to cool thing down as opposed to only (2) in a single 140 mm rad.
February 1, 2012 2:49:53 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
I'm thinking more and more that I may begin the build with a dedicated internal cpu loop and then build an external waterbox ( 480 x 2 ) for adding the gpu's, memory , and mobo cooling as $ allows . That being said would a single hi -performance 140mm rad do or go for the 120 x 2 ?

If you've read the sticky, you'll know you don't need to WC RAM. You also don't really need to WC MB components...only exception might be NB. And are you speaking in terms of 2 loops? You don't need 2 loops, 1 loop would perform better with the same components and same radiators that would be used in 2 separate loops. (also discussed in the WC sticky)

Some newer mobos now particularly the socket 2011 (X79) have the Southbridge getting cooled more (even adding fan on the heatsink) as well as the VRM.

Just concentrate on cooling the CPU & GPU bro. You really don't need to cool the RAM & other components of the mobo (NB & SB). Don't make things complicated with your first liquid cooling build. It's really up to you to add additional cooling but for now keep it simple.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 2:59:05 PM

My CPU is OC by 1.2ghz and my NB is still on air.
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 3:02:07 PM

Yeah, my P67A-UD4-B3 is a pretty solid OCer (haven't personally tried, but read several reviews) and my heatsinks are all passive :) 
February 1, 2012 6:07:49 PM

good ! I can save some money .. The idea to wc the memory and mobo was from different sites , blogs and retailers I researched . But if its the collective wisdom that its not neccessary I'll be happy to re-allocate the funds . The idea to do two loops is from a financial standpoint . I can do a internal 120mm x2 rad for the cpu initially ( ala cheaptrick's advice ) and aircool; the gpu's till I have the $ for the xtra rad , fans , gpu blox etc . Sorry for missing the related sticky rubix but I became so engrossed in your Cellulose based P.C. ( Askew ) That I ran out of steam b4 I could get to it . Btw homedepot must love you . As always ty all for the info .. ( I'm learnin
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 6:10:53 PM

Thanks- I haven't heard much about it other than a few folks saying they liked it. I wanted to do something a bit different.
February 1, 2012 9:27:50 PM

I really like it in theory and execution . Im a woodworker by trade and I think I'm gonna have to take a shot at a full tower build with a bunch of leftover mahogany I have laying around .. Ty much for the inspiration !
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 1:01:09 PM

^ That actually looks easy. There is a complete tech bench chassis inside there...most of the difficult work of fabbing is already done for you. :) 

You basically just build a box you want around it.
February 2, 2012 1:29:12 PM

Wow ! Ok thats cool . I agree with rubix about the tech bench but I would make that as well . Impressive just the same in concept . Wish I had the room . One critique : I'm not a fan of blonde wood varieties . Red maranti would look graet with the black trim ( aluminium ) ?
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 1:32:02 PM

The hardest part about my build was actually having to figure out how to do all the MB mounting (this was very time consuming to get right in conjunction with everything else on the box) and PCI slot alignment/support structure.
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 4:00:25 PM

For marking mobo standoff placements follow my handy tip :) 

install standoffs onto the loose Mobo, reasonably tight so they don't wobble
clean the surface to drill/mount upon
dab ink onto the bit of the standoff that contacts the mounting surface,
place Mobo where required, press gently down to impress the ink
remove
drill 2mm holes for the standoffs, this allows them to bite the material and grip it

I do like the desk build though, props to the guy :) 

Moto
February 2, 2012 9:07:30 PM

does anyone ever air cool the cpu ( ie hyper 212 evo) and water loop the gpu's ?? and are fans on heatsink cpu coolers pwm ??
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 3, 2012 10:22:01 AM

Yes, and it depends,
its unusual but not unknown to cool the cards with water and keep a high end aircooler on the Cpu,
the pwm question is a little too involving atm (I'm short on time sorry)
but I'm sure someone else will chip in
Moto
February 3, 2012 11:14:15 AM

Yah thats why I was asking . I n terms of performance I'm told there's little difference between w'c and aircooling the cpu and at $34.00 for the evo + an extra fan for the reccomended push pull vs. $200.00 + for even a Raystorm 120 I think I'd put the extra funds into a better or additional gpu .
February 4, 2012 11:04:41 AM

Best answer selected by rufus_22.
!