Please help. Something dying?

bluejay98

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Hi everyone, sorry to bother you all..

I've been having a frequent and disgusting problem recently.. During certain games, my computer will freeze to the point of no return. The screen will flicker, and all the colors will distort... Sort of like if you were to shoot the screen with a BB gun, if you understand what I mean....

This problem only happens with certain games... Such as World in Conflict, Killing floor, Left 4 Dead.... but never occurs in games like Bioshock and Operation Flashpoint.

This occured with the current version of Forceware, and with beta drivers. A friend recommended rolling back to 180 series of forceware, but I'd like to ask here before doing that. I've asked this question on the Steam forums, and received no help whatsoever.

The problem started occuring when I went to Dual monitors, but I just disconnected my 2nd monitor today, and the problem still happens.

My theory is that the Power Supply unit is dying, i've had it for years now. does anyone have ANY idea what to do? I'm stuck here... My favourite games are practically worthless because I cant play them for longer than 5 minutes anymore....

Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600
Windows XP 32 bit
4 gb ram (yes I know, I only get 3.3 gb of real memory....)
Nvidia GTX 260
Ultra 600 Watt PSU.

bluejay98

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Well, i noted earlier that my problems were faced starting when I got my new monitor... in a fit of desperation, I switched the DVI cable from the one that came with my monitor to my old one... And I just got back from a 40 minute session in WiC...

Could a faulty cable have been the problem?

bluejay98

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Update:

I bought a Kilowatt PSU last night. I figure if it doesnt solve my problem, I'll at least be ready for a major upgrade down the line.

RIP current PSU. you served me well for these past 6 years.

bluejay98

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Agreed, sir. I just got it in case i plan to get an i7 in the future. At any rate, the new PSU didn't Help. I'm going to have to get BFG to replace my card <_<. is there anything else that might be killing the games?

bluejay98

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
K... It was going well... Until the problem happened outside of a game, when i was listening to music....

Apart from the screen going 'blank', it also made that... choppy loud noise, and with headphones on... that wasn't cool.

Ok, i dont understand, all the temps were fine.