Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Black Screen ... Could really use some help here.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 1, 2012 2:21:03 AM

I've got an old hp. Oldy but a goodie...tell now i guess. Its on its 2nd HDD. Pentium 4. XP home. Usually I can bring her bk via safe mode...recovery...new install. But now I got a black screen. The only thing I see when I boot is hp splash screen...then black. I can enter bios...No safe mode menu...won't come up. I tried xp cd...done it b4...changed boot order. Farthest I got was setup is inspecting computer installation. Now it doesn't even go that far...just a blinking underscore and then that disapears and it's just black. Can't seem to do anything...Help!

More about : black screen

a b α HP
April 1, 2012 6:29:49 AM

5555 said:
I've got an old hp. Oldy but a goodie...tell now i guess. Its on its 2nd HDD. Pentium 4. XP home. Usually I can bring her bk via safe mode...recovery...new install. But now I got a black screen. The only thing I see when I boot is hp splash screen...then black. I can enter bios...No safe mode menu...won't come up. I tried xp cd...done it b4...changed boot order. Farthest I got was setup is inspecting computer installation. Now it doesn't even go that far...just a blinking underscore and then that disapears and it's just black. Can't seem to do anything...Help!

Could be a Memory failure. Try removing memory sticks, and booting with only one.
m
0
l
April 1, 2012 7:19:04 AM

Just tyed that...like u said and some other combinations. No differences, other than when there's no mem sticks installed it makes anoying beeps. Could this be caused by the software I installed right before the reboot (to fully install)? This is when it happened...coincidence? Software: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
m
0
l
Related resources
a b α HP
April 1, 2012 7:39:00 AM

5555 said:
Just tyed that...like u said and some other combinations. No differences, other than when there's no mem sticks installed it makes anoying beeps. Could this be caused by the software I installed right before the reboot (to fully install)? This is when it happened...coincidence? Software: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/


That installation may have damaged/changed your boot sector.
The black screen (not BSOD) is usually caused by:
One or more of the following elements are corrupted and will not load during the boot sequence of the computer:

Master boot record
Partition tables
Boot sector
NTLDR file

But if you can not even boot from a Windows CD to get to recovery console to repair, you would have to attempt to install to new hard drive, or possibly slave the existing HD into another unit and try to repair it.l
m
0
l
April 1, 2012 8:41:11 AM

I've never made a floppy boot disk...would that help? Or would it be the same as the cd? If a fresh install is my only option...how would I wipe my HDD/do a new install givin my current limitations?
m
0
l
a b α HP
April 1, 2012 9:20:29 AM

5555 said:
I've never made a floppy boot disk...would that help? Or would it be the same as the cd? If a fresh install is my only option...how would I wipe my HDD/do a new install givin my current limitations?


One way is to buy an external usb HD enclosure, put the HD in it and hook it to another computer. You could then save what you need to flash drive or cdrw. Could even check it for errors and /or then format the drive.

Or on another PC, hook it up internally as a slave drive and do same thing.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 8:24:44 PM

Got the ultimate boot cd ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) Could use some help from someone...I'm guessing I need to use something under the boot management section, but don't kno what I'm doing. Anyone else got this cd?
m
0
l
!