Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo and Proccessor install hellpp!!!!

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2009 4:41:44 AM

Hey guys i just installed my new mobo and proccessor... Specs: Gigabyte Ep43-ud3l Intel Core 2 Duo 3 gigs of ram.... i booted from cd because xp would not load... so i reformatted and started installing XP.. it got to installing Xp with 39 min left and it just froze.. reformated and tryed again.. same thing.. how can i fix this??
October 15, 2009 4:49:06 AM

Ram would be my guess. You can make a memtest86+ boot disk and test it. Or if you can't do that, pull all but one stick of ram and try the install. If it makes it, then do the memtest. If it doesn't, try another single stick.
October 15, 2009 4:57:06 AM

anything else i should try if this doesnt work>?
Related resources
October 15, 2009 5:01:23 AM

Lets start with that. I've had the same issue where the install would fail at various times and it wasn't till I tried it with one stick of ram that it would finish. So I tried booting with the other stick and nothing but error beeps during the POST.
October 15, 2009 5:04:10 AM

ok but after the install stops will i have to go and delete partition alll over again and install or can i goto repair after taking all but one stick out??
October 15, 2009 5:16:15 AM

If by stops, you mean completes, no, you can add the ram and no other settings/installs will have to be done.

If it freezes again, then we'll try the next level of diagnostics.
October 15, 2009 5:24:52 AM

It Worked :)  ur awesome man ... still completing setup tho... will it recognize that ram once i put it back in after startup? i want to get the most from my machine for gaming
October 15, 2009 5:35:48 AM

Yeah the computer will be fine with them put back in, but now you have to find the bad stick of ram. Once setup is done, put them all in. Use the free download to make a boot disk of this: http://www.memtest86.com/
Run it, let it do its thing and find the bad stick of ram. Do you know how to make an ISO into a cd?

Otherwise, you can use just one stick at a time and trade them and when you have problems, that's your bad stick. Pull it and get it replaced. But the memtest might be the safer route.
October 15, 2009 5:53:38 AM

yeah alright i should be able to figure it out thanks!! and one dumb question... i upgrades from a pentium D 930 to a Core 2 Duo E8400 how much speed incresase should i notice??
October 15, 2009 5:57:23 AM

If you weren't pushing your CPU to the max before, probably not a bunch. If you're doing production editing, moreso than in gaming cuz it uses the cache more. You can OC the E8400 and probably notice a fair bit of increase though.

Any other help needed, just ask. I'll be checking out for the night soon though. Hopefully, someone else chimes in if needed.
October 15, 2009 7:01:46 PM

Just thought of this, which I should have asked last night.

Are all the ram chips the same? If not, you'll need to make sure the specs are set to the lowest performing of them. If the voltages aren't the same, that can cause issues too. So you might not have a bad stick of ram, but they just need to be set up properly. If you list the sticks you have, I'll be happy to find the settings they need to be at.
October 15, 2009 7:05:45 PM

skora said:
Just thought of this, which I should have asked last night.

Are all the ram chips the same? If not, you'll need to make sure the specs are set to the lowest performing of them. If the voltages aren't the same, that can cause issues too. So you might not have a bad stick of ram, but they just need to be set up properly. If you list the sticks you have, I'll be happy to find the settings they need to be at.

+1 to that. I was going to post the exact same thing as I was reading through the different posts. The problem could very well be incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS. Please post which exact RAM you're using.
!