AM3 on AM2 motherboards

viclaw

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Hello,

I would really appreciate some help regarding my motherboard. I have a MS-7253 board which at the moment uses a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+. I was wondering whether it supports AM3 processors as I am slightly confused. Some of the forums I've read said that AM3 and AM2+ can be used on AM2 boards but no the other way around.

I have this link which for my motherboard from the manufacturer which says it doesn't even support AM2+ processors.

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=260

Am I right in saying that in order to upgrade to an AM3 processor I would have to change the motherboard? Or should I try and put an AM3 chip in and see what happens?

Thanks in advance.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
My old mobo some asus am2 board did not support the new phenom (planning on upgrading soon)

ALready got a new board (m4a785d-m pro) which is a socket am2+. this does support phenom 2

reason you cannot put a am2 or am2+ cpu in a socket am3 is because socket am3 is always coupled with DDR3, and the old am2 am2+ cpu's dont have ddr3 memory controllers.

am3 cpu's have support for ddr2, so they can go in a socket am2+, not am2 though (dont ask me why).

regardless, its very nice of AMD to have done this since I do not want to buy ddr3 ram, (too xpensive) but do want the new quad cores.

intel has been an ***hole and if you want a new intel cpu (i7 i5 etc) you need to get a new board and new ram and of coarce the cpu itself. most of us amd boys already have am2+ boards and enough ram, so its just under 200$ for the upgrade, and not near 400-500 for only wanting to upgrade cpu.

i do tend to rant on dont I?

anyways you should be able to pick up a decent am2+ board somewhere pretty cheap around 50-60$.