"Hmmm...what to wear?": Choosing The Case For A New LGA-1336 Rig

Wyldfire

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Before the end of the month BUDGET RANGE: $1700 total, <$250 for the case

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Surfing, Music Listening, DVD/Video Watching, Student-Level AutoCAD/Inventor Projects, General Low-Impact Tasks (Surfing, word processing, etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard (Logitech G15), Mouse (Logitech G5), Speakers (Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1), Monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 204b)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, FrozenCPU, or anywhere else that has a good reputation.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Anything with a high Price-to-Performance ratio

OVERCLOCKING: Yes; Air-cooled and minimal voltage tweaking. SLI/CROSSFIRE: Not planned.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200, will eventually upgrade to 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:Okay, basically, I've gotten my build all sorted out, but as the subject says, I'm trying to figure out a good case to throw it all in. I've got a couple ideas kicking around, but I'd like to hear some ideas from other people.

Below is a list of the requirements I've set out for myself, in roughly descending order of importance:

#1: Excellent cooling performance above all else.
#2: Budget is <$150 preferred, $250 hard limit for something absolutely, mind-bogglingly awesome.
#3: Needs to fit a Radeon HD 5870 and a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
EDIT: The 5870 is 10.75"/274mm long, and the 212+ is 6.34"/161mm tall.
#4: Filters on all intakes due to shedding pets in residence.
#5: Bottom-mount PSU w/ external intake opening.
#6: Black interior if windowed.
#7: Exposed bays preferred to a door.

Just to keep people from bringing them up, let me note that I've considered he HAF 922 and 932 and have discarded them as options. I've been informed by an owner of one that, while they do blow a lot of air around, the fans aren't well positioned to deliver the flow to the hot-spots making it a wash compared to cases with lesser, but better situated, airflow. Combine that with failing to meet #4 & #6 and those two cases go out the window.

I'm currently looking at the Lancool 'Dragonlord' PC-K62 as my favorite choice. I've also been considering going to a full tower and getting an ATCS 840 instead, but the size may be a bit much for an air-cooled, single-GPU system.

If I was told wrong about the HAF 922, or if there's anything else out there that I've missed that's better, I'd be most grateful for the corrections.

Solution
Take a look at this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194 I have one of these cases and i can assure you it will not disappoint, its beautiful and has the 3 x 200mm fans with a 120 at the back. The fan controller is a single large knob and control centre that allows you to add up to 7 fans or more using splitters but most importantly it allows almost perfect cable management and the floor mounted PSU can be mounted the correct way round because it has a floor vent and distance. The case i have linked to has an interior black finish & looks fantastic so now im jealous coz mine dosnt have that finish.

The thing i hate about Antecs and Silverstone is the useless options for cable management, always consider this when buying a case coz it impacts on airflow.

Take...

Wyldfire

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

Took a look at it but the PC-K62 is, quite literally, a Lian-Li case done in steel & plastic to cut costs. The interior amenities (the hole for the cooler back-plates, the awesome toolless system, etc) just catch my eye a bit more; plus the 902 doesn't have a filter for the PSU vents, which is an issue.

Very nice case indeed. I may just have a new first pick here.

EDIT: On closer inspection, reviews say it has 10.5" of graphics-card clearance, while the Radeon HD 5870 is listed from 10.75" to 11" long depending on the source. Dangit.

Stiffex

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Take a look at this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194 I have one of these cases and i can assure you it will not disappoint, its beautiful and has the 3 x 200mm fans with a 120 at the back. The fan controller is a single large knob and control centre that allows you to add up to 7 fans or more using splitters but most importantly it allows almost perfect cable management and the floor mounted PSU can be mounted the correct way round because it has a floor vent and distance. The case i have linked to has an interior black finish & looks fantastic so now im jealous coz mine dosnt have that finish.

The thing i hate about Antecs and Silverstone is the useless options for cable management, always consider this when buying a case coz it impacts on airflow.

Take a look you wont be disappointed it looks even better in person.

Solution

Wyldfire

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

The Storm Sniper... wow, how did I ever drop that one off my list?

I must have crossed it off my list back before I realized the HAF 922 didn't live up to the hype, because that is a very awesome case. It doesn't have quite the same internal features as the PC-K62, but the internal temperatures in the reviews do seem to be a couple degrees lower.