Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External USB 3.0 Slow Speed Spikes

Last response: in Storage
August 26, 2011 9:11:51 AM

Hello, I have 2 external Rosewill USB 3.0 hard drive enclosures, I was having a hard time getting my computer to recognize the drives, but I installed some drivers and managed to get it to work, now that its working, when I try to copy files to the drives, every 30 seconds or less, the drive will lock up and it'll stop copying files, I checked with HD tune and as it starts it goes from ~100 MB/s and then the graph freeze for maybe a minute or 2 and I see a giant dip down to 0, and after 30 seconds it does it again, I tried the same drive on both enclosures with the same result, then I tried another HD and the same thing happened.

Both the hard drives are western digital green drives 1 TB and 1.5 TB, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, I checked the BIOS, USB 3.0 is enabled , Ive tried reinstalling the USB 3.0 drivers and the problem persists.
a b G Storage
August 26, 2011 11:05:14 AM

Try enabling the write cache

right click disk>properties>hardware>your HDD that you want to enable write cache>changesettings>policies>enable write cache on device

m
l
August 27, 2011 12:10:07 AM

It didn't work, tried it on both drives and I still get the intermittent lockup.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 27, 2011 12:47:39 AM

Ok, try updating the usb 3.0 driver? which chip do you have?

I currently have nec and fresco logic controller for usb 3.0

Although the nec driver works normal, the fresco logic need a new driver before it work at a good speed.
August 27, 2011 2:47:40 AM

I have the Etron chip, I updated it from 1.0 to 1.5 and it seemed to do the trick, thanks!
m
l
August 27, 2011 2:47:53 AM

Best answer selected by vuga419.
m
l
!