ATI Radeon HD 4650 VS Nvidia Geforce 9400GT

Septor

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hello,
I am buying a new pc for my brother, which is not a gaming fanatic, and hes most favorite game, is GTA 4, now i would like to know which of the above mentioned cards can run it better (and on pretty much your guessing on what settings..), if they support HD and Blu-Ray playback on the computer/TV (please state which)
Thanks,
Septor.

PS: both of the cards in interest are the 1GB versions.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I would have to say get the 4650. That one is a better card than the 9400GT.
I know for sure the 4650 will do HD and Blu-Ray. You're getting the PCI-E version right?

But to tell you the truth, both these cards suck at playing games. You'll want at least a 4770 or 9600 GT. What processor do you have? What resolution do you play at?

Septor

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
the PCI-e Version indeed, the resolution doesn't that matter you know.. hes a kid, and he won't see the difference in graphics, as long as it looks ok and plays fine.. do you have any suggestion for a better card within the range of about another 50-60$?

For that price range, the 4670 or the 9600GSO are your best options.

For your original question, the 4650 is better. The DDR2 version performs as good as a 9500GT, while the GDDR3 version performs much better almost as good as a 4670.

Septor

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
hes not much of a gamer like i wrote before, but, he's all time favorite was the gta series with the new one at the top.. all tough he wont complain about the looks and physics as he is not aware of this kind of things in visual graphics, so that is why we wont buy a top grade Graphic card, but rather a "Budget" one, but still, i am looking for something that will do the job..
and thanks to everyone for answering and giving their opinion so far!

There is a 9600GSO that is $39.99 after MIR. It rivals the 4670 in performs and is a pretty decent low-budget gaming card.