Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Solution for sli heat problem

Last response: in Overclocking
January 31, 2012 3:26:59 AM

I have two msi gtx 560 ti cards. I've done everything I can with air cooling and do not like the results. Would it be possible to improve their cooling with wc just on the cards? I'm very happy with my noctua CPU fan and would rather not replace it. If this is a good solution what do I need to learn and where would be able to purchase the wc system?

Also my psu and case are designed to house a wc system I just decided against for the time.
January 31, 2012 4:46:59 AM

Your cpu fan is fine. I had a similar issue with Sli'ing. I have a P6T MB in a Silverstone RV01 Case. Both the GTX275's and GTX560ti's had one card over heat. Went out and spent $100 in highflow fans, with no change. I did not try liquid cooling. I eventually took them back and got a single GTX580, which I later ended up trading back in for a 6990 4gb. My solution (although not one that you would like to hear) is to take your 560's back and get a 580 instead. Good luck!!
Score
January 31, 2012 6:29:36 AM

Well I can't take them back. Upgrading to 580 wouldn't be a bad idea if there isn't another solution. If it comes to that I think I will try selling this build and starting over.
Score
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 12:02:58 PM

If you are selling your 560 ti's how much and what brand? :) 

What temps are you seeing at load on the cards?
Score
January 31, 2012 6:05:40 PM

msi gtx 560 ti gold edtion, 60c-75c on battlefield 3. maybe $150
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 6:07:45 PM

$150/ea? I'm more an EVGA guy, but worth considering.

It sounds like you have a major airflow issue.
Score
January 31, 2012 6:11:53 PM

I think the main reason for this recent heat problems is we got a new pet and the average room temperature is a lot higher to my dismay.
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
January 31, 2012 6:19:00 PM

What kind of pet did you get, a wooly mammoth?
Score
February 1, 2012 5:29:42 AM

580 is a lot hotter than 560 TI. If you go with 580 then you'll have more heat problems. :D  You probably can improve your temp with proper wire management & removing some clutter. Looking at you case, you seems to have a big case but the wire management is extremely poor. You can hide those wires in the back of the case. Maybe remove the drive bay at the back of the front intake fan (not necessary if you can just hide those wires blocking the airflow of the intake fan). The problem with your set up is that it's too constrictive (even if you only have the (2) small TI video cards with no other PCI components sandwitched between the two) & that there's hardly any space for the cool air getting inside to circulate & then get suck by your exhaust fans.

Also change the orientation of your CPU cooler. The flow of hot air in that CPU cooler fan might be going down directly into your video cards (check your fan air direction). See to it that it's facing towards the back exhaust fan.

Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 12:48:38 PM

^ Yep, your problem is you are blocking airflow...turn that thing 90 degrees and you'll solve CPU and GPU cooling issues.

Why would you ever mount it like that????
Score
February 1, 2012 1:54:00 PM

Even if the CPU fans is moving air upward (not downward) he still will have some problems with heat even if he put an exhaust fan on the top of the case. As you can see in the picture, the air getting suck if it being moved upwards are mainly hot air form the video cards.

Proper orientation of the CPU air cooler in a must on this build. Making sure that the air getting suck in is cooler air & exhausted in the back exhaust fan.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 1:54:50 PM

mephistois said:
msi gtx 560 ti gold edtion, 60c-75c on battlefield 3. maybe $150

If you are getting 60-75c on the GPU's in battlefield 3 there is absolutely nothing wrong. And yes. That is hands down the worst mounting of a CPU cooler i have ever seen. I can't believe you haven't cooked the CPU
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 2:00:27 PM

GPUs really don't go into thermal shutdown until 100+ Celsius. You should have 100% performance even at 70-80C, but it's a lot higher than I'd want them to run...it would at least shorten lifespan.

2 things kill electronics- heat and excessive/erratic voltages
Score
February 1, 2012 2:02:45 PM

unksol said:
If you are getting 60-75c on the GPU's in battlefield 3 there is absolutely nothing wrong. And yes. That is hands down the worst mounting of a CPU cooler i have ever seen. I can't believe you haven't cooked the CPU

It might be with long gaming use but the thing with this TI video cards are that they don't produced heat as much as the 580. His case is extremely huge for his set up so there should be lots of air circulation if he'll be able to remove some clutter inside. He can do better I think with his set up without going full liquid cooling.

I've used a smaller Zalman Fatality case before & it can get so hot inside I have to stop gaming for awhile.
Score
February 1, 2012 9:50:01 PM

That cpu cooler is working very well actually and I mounted it like that to help move heat away from the video cards. Most of the clutter is the extra cords on my psu which I really can't do much about aside from getting a new psu. There is a larger exhaust fan on the top of the case.

I considered reversing the side case fan to exhaust and top to intake and turning my cpu cooler any thoughts on this? Also, I'll look about moving those extra wires but, I'm not sure there is any good place for them and they can't be removed unfortunately.
Score
February 1, 2012 9:59:29 PM

unksol said:

Agreed, those temps are perfectly normal for those cards. They can run as high as 90 and still be fine. 60-75 is pretty cool for those on an intense game like BF3.

Your primary card will also run ~10c hotter than the secondary as well, this is also normal.
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 10:37:40 PM

mephistois said:
That cpu cooler is working very well actually and I mounted it like that to help move heat away from the video cards. Most of the clutter is the extra cords on my psu which I really can't do much about aside from getting a new psu. There is a larger exhaust fan on the top of the case.

I considered reversing the side case fan to exhaust and top to intake and turning my cpu cooler any thoughts on this? Also, I'll look about moving those extra wires but, I'm not sure there is any good place for them and they can't be removed unfortunately.

again. 75C for a GPU is NOT hot. at all. especially for SLI. theres no worry of "reduced lifespan" at that temp. the CPU fan should be set up front to back to blow a constant stream of heat out. The side fan should be an intake feeding cool air to the GPUs and they should be exhausting out the back. the top fan should be an exhaust to pull any rising heat out, not letting it get trapped in the top of the case
February 1, 2012 10:42:17 PM

Best answer selected by mephistois.
Score
February 1, 2012 10:43:33 PM

Thanks unksol
Score
February 2, 2012 4:01:03 AM

The CPU cooler installation is not good. There's barely any space between the CPU cooler & the video card. The air getting suck by the CPU cooler fans is not cold air but hot air coming from the hot video cards.

He is using CM HAF 932. It's a full tower case. There should be enough room for air to circulate. Somehow the cable management is not good either. He should be getting better temps than 75 c with his set up.
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 1:04:39 PM

Quote:
The CPU cooler installation is not good. There's barely any space between the CPU cooler & the video card. The air getting suck by the CPU cooler fans is not cold air but hot air coming from the hot video cards.

This is exactly what I was saying- I don't understand the selection for the best answer...it basically went along with the OP's current design. There is a real problem with how that cooler is oriented.

Oh well, it isn't my hardware that's getting BBQ'd....

I still can't understand why you would mount a cooler like that, install SLI cards and say, 'yeah, I bet that really cools well'.
Score
February 2, 2012 1:08:07 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
I don't understand the selection for the best answer...it basically went along with the OP's current design.

This is what I thought too that's why he sellected that as the best answer. It's more in line with what he's getting.
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 1:27:47 PM

This is what happens when people are perfectly fine with mediocrity. There was a reason he initially posted, but looked for the answer that meant he shouldn't change a damn thing.

Sounds like laziness to me, but again, not my hardware. That CPU cooler needs to be remounted 90 degrees, either way.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 1:49:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!