Will using 2x2gb DDR3 triple channel on x58-ud3r disable dual channel ?

keisuk3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
i'm just curious because i dont have the money to buy 6gb at once (3x2gb) so i was wondering if i buy two 2gb DDR3 triple channel and use it in the mean time will dual channel be enable ? or do i have to wait to buy another 2gb stick for full triple channel support ?

thank you

Manufacturers package RAM in sets of 2 or 3 by "matching" them so that they work together. Personally, with the great OC ability of the X58 chipset, I wouldn't try and mix and match RAM from different sets.

I have bnever gone from 2 to 3 but on most occasions that I have tried going from 2 to 4 RAM modules of DDR2 and it worked but last try it didn't, despite identical timings.

If you are using Windows7 or Vista, especially if using 64bit Win7 or Vista, the more RAM the better. If using 32bit XP, then 3 GB is more than enough; but with an X58 and i7, I hope you are using at least 64bit Vista.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Probably a good call to pick up 6 up front- a matched set gives a much better chance of perfect compatibility. You can, and I have done it mixing and matching different sets, but it generally takes more tweaking and often requires looser timings to run properly.