Sign in with
Your question

Will using 2x2gb DDR3 triple channel on x58-ud3r disable dual channel ?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 5, 2010 3:49:34 PM

i'm just curious because i dont have the money to buy 6gb at once (3x2gb) so i was wondering if i buy two 2gb DDR3 triple channel and use it in the mean time will dual channel be enable ? or do i have to wait to buy another 2gb stick for full triple channel support ?

thank you
a c 78 V Motherboard
April 5, 2010 8:29:27 PM

2x2GB of RAM on an X58 board will run in dual-channel mode if you use the correct RAM slots. You'll have to verify which slots that is for your motherboard in the owners manual.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2010 10:02:04 PM

Yeah- it'll run in dual channel if you install it in the correct slots. If you then later get a third stick, you can add it and run in triple channel.
m
l
Related resources
a c 208 V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 1:38:06 AM

Manufacturers package RAM in sets of 2 or 3 by "matching" them so that they work together. Personally, with the great OC ability of the X58 chipset, I wouldn't try and mix and match RAM from different sets.

I have bnever gone from 2 to 3 but on most occasions that I have tried going from 2 to 4 RAM modules of DDR2 and it worked but last try it didn't, despite identical timings.
m
l
April 6, 2010 2:14:00 AM

thx for the info.

i guess i will shell out the money for 6gb. btw will you see a big difference in performance if you had 3gb vs 6gb of DDR3 triple channel ?
m
l
April 6, 2010 6:16:28 AM

Go 6gb, i tried the 3gb to save money and i was heavily disappointed...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 3:44:03 PM

keisuk3 said:
thx for the info.

i guess i will shell out the money for 6gb. btw will you see a big difference in performance if you had 3gb vs 6gb of DDR3 triple channel ?
If you are using Windows7 or Vista, especially if using 64bit Win7 or Vista, the more RAM the better. If using 32bit XP, then 3 GB is more than enough; but with an X58 and i7, I hope you are using at least 64bit Vista.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 3:46:54 PM

Probably a good call to pick up 6 up front- a matched set gives a much better chance of perfect compatibility. You can, and I have done it mixing and matching different sets, but it generally takes more tweaking and often requires looser timings to run properly.
m
l
!