Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on my custom to be built system

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 15, 2009 12:40:59 PM

Hi all, I am building this new system. I think I have it pretty good, but if you have any opinions or better options please let me know.

I am replacing my old Dell 8250, 3.06 HT, 1.5GB RAMBUS 1066, WD 500GB, ATI HD 3850 AGP with this:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5
Intel Core i7 860
OCZ3P1333LV4GK 4GB Kit
HD 5770 Crossfire
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
WD Caviar Black 1TB
LG GH22NP20
Corsair CMPSU-650TX
Antec Three Hundred
Logitech Z-4

I was not sure about the video card, but I read that 2 x 5770 beats any cards out there for the price. I did not go with X58 I7-920 because it is slower to play games.

Thanks for your feedback!
October 15, 2009 5:36:24 PM

Get the I5 750, a cheaper motherboard such as the Asus P7P55D Pro and dump the soundcard since onboard sound should be good enough. With the money saved, upgrade the GPU to a 5850 and then bump up the PSU to the 750W version. This would make it possible to add a second 5850 and run them in crossfire when you need more graphics power in the future.

Also, the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is faster and should be cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 15, 2009 6:48:21 PM

So this would be a better and faster machine (with a $1500 in mind):

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Intel Core i7 750
OCZ3P1333LV4GK 4GB Kit
HD 5850 Crossfire
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB (The F3 is not available)
LG GH22NP20
Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Antec Three Hundred
Logitech Z-4

It comes up to about $1400 at Newegg.ca

The original build was about $1355
Related resources
October 15, 2009 6:51:06 PM

My bad, I found the F3. Sorry.
October 15, 2009 6:56:11 PM

build said:
Get the I5 750, a cheaper motherboard such as the Asus P7P55D Pro and dump the soundcard since onboard sound should be good enough. With the money saved, upgrade the GPU to a 5850 and then bump up the PSU to the 750W version. This would make it possible to add a second 5850 and run them in crossfire when you need more graphics power in the future.

Also, the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is faster and should be cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



I looked at the Asus P7P55D Pro, and it says: PCI Express 2.0 x16: 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode) Would that slow down the GPU in Crossfire?
October 15, 2009 7:11:24 PM

Typically no, 8X vs 16X hasn't shown to be a great factor. A few frames per second, as much as 5% in some cases I hear.
October 15, 2009 7:26:00 PM

This is piddly, but be aware that the Antec 300 case does not include a case (system) speaker.
October 15, 2009 7:34:25 PM

The purpose of the machine is mainly for gaming. Mainly playing NFS and Strategic games like CC3... I have a 22" Widescreen with a screen resolution of 1680x1050.

Would everyone agrees that i5-750 would be a better solution than i7-860 or i7-920?

Basically I am looking at either:
i7-860 with 2 x HD 5770
or
i5-750 with 2 x HD 5850

Thanks
October 15, 2009 7:37:00 PM

jsc said:
This is piddly, but be aware that the Antec 300 case does not include a case (system) speaker.


Why is it so piddly JSC?
October 16, 2009 7:45:21 AM

Xpender said:
The purpose of the machine is mainly for gaming. Mainly playing NFS and Strategic games like CC3... I have a 22" Widescreen with a screen resolution of 1680x1050.

Would everyone agrees that i5-750 would be a better solution than i7-860 or i7-920?

Basically I am looking at either:
i7-860 with 2 x HD 5770
or
i5-750 with 2 x HD 5850

Thanks


I would definitely go with the i5 750 + 2x HD 5850. The graphics card makes more of a difference when it comes to gaming as opposed to the processor. Having said that, even one 5850 is a bit overkill for your needs. Just buy one 5850 for now, and get the second one in like a year's time as it will be considerably cheaper by then.
!