Computer Locking UP, No Error Message

pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
The past few days my computer has been locking up, always when playing a video game, and I am forced to press the restart button. When I log back in, I receive no error message from the action center or anything. When I check the windows event viewer I see the messages that says "The previous system shutdown at 11:24:39 AM on ‎10/‎6/‎2011 was unexpected." and "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." but none that actually tell me why it crashed or stopped responding. If anyone here would be kind enough to tell me why this could be happening, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

System:
Motherboard: XFX nForce 750i
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 SSC
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9550
RAM: 8g DDR2
PSU: 750 Watts
If anymore information is needed, please let me know.

What is the brand and model of your PSU? Your rig would run well on a quality 450W PSU, but a PSU that is low quality (e.g. Diablotek, Apevia, Chokemax [any -max except Enermax]) could cause those symptoms.
It could also be a RAM problem. Run MEMTEST+ on it.

It could also be a heat issue.

I would suggest reseating the RAM and GPU, also reseat all MB / GPU power connectors.

If you have a can of dust-off or similar product blow out the CPU Heatsink and fan. As well as the GPU.
Basically give the inside of your computer a good cleaning.