Part-time gaming with an eye to the future

Toefuzz

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Greetings!

I'm looking at building my own rig for no other reason than it's something I've always wanted to try. I'd like to keep the price under $600 with the ability to upgrade in the future. I would also like to have a Raid 1 setup as I never want to tell my wife I lost our kids baby pictures because the hard drive died (on the computer I built).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next week or so as I'm impatient.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Some gaming and video streaming (netflix, hulu, etc) plus everyday home use (email, internet, etc).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, and OS (have XP Pro)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: no real preference, though I've had good luck with AMD in the past.

OVERCLOCKING: I've never done this but have always been intrigued by the idea so I'd like to leave the option open

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

Here's what I was looking at so far:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit

2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Total cost comes in around $585. I went with a motherboard that supports DDR3 with an eye to the future as my 6 year old son is taking an interest in computers and gaming and I'd like the rig to last as long as possible.

I've always upgraded my own memory and hard drives and am reasonably capable but have never built a system so any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

RAID1 will not prevent this from happening again. Fire, burglary, malicious virus, etc., the list of what could go wrong and loose your pictures again is very long.
It's actually much cheaper and more effective to have a comprehensive back up plan. A USB thumb drive copy stored in a safe place, a DVD copy snail mailed to a family member(s) to hold for you. Those are the best and most cost effective ways to ensure important data survives the next PC problem.

What kinds of games will you be playing with the HD3300 video chip on that 790GX motherboard?
Your PSU is sized for a very powerful gaming card. Like the new $350 HD5870.