GPU Sealed Liquid Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

wba4493

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi everyone,
I have a desktop that I fairly recently built, and I'm interesting in finding a cooling method that will be more efficient (and, yes, quieter) than the stock fans that came with my housing (Cooler Master HAF 932) and CPU (i7-990x).

I like the idea of liquid cooling, but I wouldn't mind avoiding the time and hassle that comes with the setup and maintenance of a home built reservoir system. It seems like a sealed liquid cooling system would be fairly ideal for my purposes, with only one problem: a pretty good percentage of the ambient heat in my system comes from my graphics card, and as I am thinking about using an SLI configuration by adding another GeForce GTX 570, that heat problem becomes even more of an issue.

This brings me to my question: does anyone know whether or not there is a sealed liquid cooling system on the market that can cool a CPU and GPU simultaneously? Or if not, is there even a sealed liquid cooler for a GTX 570? I've seen CoolIt's OMNI A.L.C. for the GTX 580/590, but haven't seen anything that could support the 570...

Any recommendations on sealed liquid coolers or advice on other configurations that might be useful is much appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

G

Moto is right. I don't think there's a hybrid liquid cooler made for 570. I know there's one for 580 & an interposer plate for video cards made by CoolIt. The interposer plate is card specific though (older GPU models) so if you're looking for one then you're out of luck.

I could be wrong but those interposer plates made my by CoolIt is not for the 580 & 590. CoolIt stopped producing interposer plates more than a year ago & now mainly makes liquid cooling products being rebranded by Corsair (none so far I've seen GPU liquid coolers from Corsair).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This brings me to my question: does anyone know whether or not there is a sealed liquid cooling system on the market that can cool a CPU and GPU simultaneously?

I would term this kind of setup as 'half-assing it', but there is a PNY solution out there that was hotly debated in a thread here last week. I don't know if it's specific to certain cards, though.

wba4493

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Haha, that's quite the rig, dieller! That's a pretty neat idea with the zip tie setup! I'm wondering if I would be able to get two liquid cooling systems, and cut and splice the tubing to make one continuous loop between CPU and GPU (using your zip-tie setup on the GPU, or maybe a plate if I can ever find one to fit the GTX 570 :p ).

Any thoughts on feasability?

Thanks again for all your help, you guys have been great!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For that cost and work, you'd be better off just building a loop.

I don't get the need to chop up 2 coolers like that when it would be simpler to implement an actual loop that would perform better.

wba4493

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Alright, I've given it some thought, and I think you're right about that being just as much work as building a full water cooling system... So I'm just going to do that!

I think I know what I'll need for parts, but now I have one or two more question :p Are the any CPU or GPU waterblocks that you would recommend? And does anyone know where I could get a full board waterblock for a DX58S02 motherboard? The air flow in my HAF 932 is pretty great, so most of the other peripherals that wouldn't be covered by a water cooling system would still be ok with one or two fewer fans, but my motherboard gets pretty hot, so I'd want to make sure it gets incorporated into the loop.

Thanks again for your continuing help!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
And does anyone know where I could get a full board waterblock for a DX58S02 motherboard?

Where have you looked?

Are the any CPU or GPU waterblocks that you would recommend?

Most are good and will only differ by 1-2C under load, which even then is something you wouldn't notice between blocks, yourself. What are you choosing between?

wba4493

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Well, most of what I find for motherboard waterblocks seems to come from EK, but I guess I was wondering if there was anywhere else you would recommend, or if I should just go with them?

For the GPU I think I've narrowed it down to the following:
EK-FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) - Acetal+EN (Nickel)
DD GTX570 Nickel
Koolance VID-NX480 (which I believe is also 470 compatible, but I'd want to make sure)
AC aquagraFX GTX570

For the CPU I was leaning towards one of the EK-Supreme HF models, although between them I'm not really sure what to use as descriminating factors.

Most of my decision making up to this point has been based on reviews and tests from Skinneelabs.com, so I definitely wouldn't mind getting another opininon! If any of the blocks on my list jump out at you, or if there are any that aren't on my list that you would recommend, please let me know!

Thanks!

wba4493

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Because when I track the system temperatures, even with my fans on full blast, it is frequently above 100C... I'd hate to see how hot that would get when I remove at least one of my larger fans to make space for a radiator! :(

wba4493

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I'm not sure it's an airflow issue... there will be times when my other components are idling at 30-40C, and my motherboard will still be above 100C, which leads me to believe that there may be a physical issue with with. However I've removed the board and reseated it, popped in and out all the components to make sure they're all seated properly, but the problem persists.

The other thing that confuses me is that when I first turn on my computer the motherboard is already extremely hot, which either means there is an issue with the thermal sensor (I've tried a few different temp monitoring programs, and they all produced roughly the same measurements), or the board actually heats up that much in the ~45 seconds it takes to boot.

My computer also freezes up occassionally, and I fear it may have something to do with this board overheating problem.

Just a wonder, when you say mobo temp, do you mean the stupid tmpin/auxtin reading?
cause mine is also at 128c whilst my cores are gurgling away at 29c,
just wanted to check if its the 'stupid' reading or not :)
if it is, dwai, mine ain't exploded yet :p
Moto

No idea man, just a fkd up reading I never worry about :p if it were true I'm certain something would've exploded.....
I wouldn't concern yourself, or believe that reading, cores and Gpu are the main ones, followed by chassis,
if you get into water reasonably hardcore, you might start fitting temp sensors in resses,tubing and rads to nail the perfect Delta5 heheh
<No sensors.....yet :p
Moto

wba4493

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for the heads up! I'll stop worrying about then! Although I guess that means my computer is freezing for a different reason... which is a bummer, since I have no idea why. Although I suspect my RAM since it's 1600 MHz and while Intel says it supports 1600+, I've heard people frequently have problems above 1333 MHz. :/

lightinthedarq

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
This brings me to my question: does anyone know whether or not there is a sealed liquid cooling system on the market that can cool a CPU and GPU simultaneously? Or if not, is there even a sealed liquid cooler for a GTX 570?

http://www.asetek.com/desktop/gpu-a-combo-coolers/760gc.html

This seems like exactly what you're looking for, does the CPU and GPU and is specifically designed with the 570 in mind.

Hope This helps ya mate!

120mm is not enough rad space for a CPU+GPU. :pfff:

Status
Not open for further replies.