Sign in with
Your question

USB to SATA

Last response: in Storage
August 26, 2011 6:01:01 PM

I have 2 older 80 gig Western Digital Drives combined to make 160 Gigs in a desktop. The desktop crashed. Its not the drives, the system wont even POST. What I am looking for is a USB to SATA adapter of some kind so I can retrieve my data using my laptop. Does anyone know of such a device? Also, what RAID is that?

More about : usb sata

a b G Storage
August 26, 2011 7:58:52 PM

I don't think you can recover any data from a RAID 0 set without duplicating the exact same settings (block size, which is drive 0, etc.), and you cannot do that with USB to SATA adapters.
August 26, 2011 8:26:00 PM

What if I got a cheap PCI SATA adapter? I can throw it in an ubuntu box and pull my data?

Thanks for clarifying its RAID 0
Related resources
August 26, 2011 9:00:05 PM

It also may be so called JBOD, not RAID 0. While RAID 0 is stripping, the JBOD /which is not exactly a RAID, but the RAID 0 is not actually a RAID, meaning redundant, itself/ is just like stitching the drives together one after another in a virtually continuous drive space.
And the JBOD should be pretty much easily recoverable /it's continuous just on logical level/.
August 27, 2011 1:17:46 PM

Quote:
may be you should try figuring out why bios is moving to POST, most bios will make numberous beeps, if they detect some problem, number of beeps corresponds to a error, you can note the number of beeps and you can search online regrading your problem, http://www.experiblog.tk

Its NOT going to POST, Its not even beeping. Nothing at all, no signal to monitor no nothing. Just a light on the front and 1 inside the case on the motherboard. I Think its a power supply issue myself but without knowing for sure I dont want to dump any money into it.
a b G Storage
August 27, 2011 1:36:19 PM

Friend, you have to do some tests. First, check if its the psu, take it to a friends house and test it, or get a friends psu and see if your system boots. But just in advance, does your fans start spinning when you power on?

Are you able to get into BIOS? Even on a hard drive crash, you should be able to go into bios. are you getting any screen? So far it can be memory, videocard, motherboard

Is the OS installed on these 2 drives? BTW, if its jbod, you may simply connect the drives to a new computer and the OS will probably see it. It its RAID, you gonna have to boot the system from a 3rd disk, then install the RAID 0 drives, then connect the drives, and the OS will probalby see them. Unless you physically go into the motherboard and delete the ARRAY, the motherboard remembers the RAID configuration
August 27, 2011 1:51:32 PM

leandrodafontoura said:
Friend, you have to do some tests. First, check if its the psu, take it to a friends house and test it, or get a friends psu and see if your system boots. But just in advance, does your fans start spinning when you power on?

Are you able to get into BIOS? Even on a hard drive crash, you should be able to go into bios. are you getting any screen? So far it can be memory, videocard, motherboard

Is the OS installed on these 2 drives? BTW, if its jbod, you may simply connect the drives to a new computer and the OS will probably see it. It its RAID, you gonna have to boot the system from a 3rd disk, then install the RAID 0 drives, then connect the drives, and the OS will probalby see them. Unless you physically go into the motherboard and delete the ARRAY, the motherboard remembers the RAID configuration

Yes, the OS is installed on the 2 drives.

When it started acting up it would just shut off like you cut the power off but it would reboot every time. Then it started continuously rebooting....then I had trouble getting it to POST at all so I could get into the BIOS, now it wont even POST. Ive tried re-seating the connectors etc on the motherboard, clearing CMOS, taking the battery out etc...no joy. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a power supply or anything. If I was pretty sure it was a power supply issue I'd just buy a power supply...I just don't want to throw money at it without knowing.

Yes, the fans on the CPU spin and the fan on the power supply as well. Lights on front and on motherboard light up. Just wont POST
a b G Storage
August 27, 2011 3:50:35 PM

Try turning on without the drives attached to the motherboard. Simply disconect the power to them. You should be able to get into BIOS at least. If not, then probably is not a hard drive issue. If you do manage to get into BIOS, check if the memory modules are correctly recognized.

You should also take your hard drives and conect to another PC, and check if they are readable by the OS.

Perhaps you have a 2nd very old PC at home?
August 27, 2011 3:58:40 PM

leandrodafontoura said:
Try turning on without the drives attached to the motherboard. Simply disconect the power to them. You should be able to get into BIOS at least. If not, then probably is not a hard drive issue. If you do manage to get into BIOS, check if the memory modules are correctly recognized.

You should also take your hard drives and conect to another PC, and check if they are readable by the OS.

Perhaps you have a 2nd very old PC at home?

Yes, a couple of older Ubuntu PC's but none have Serial ATA connections. That is why I was wondering if I could just get a cheap Serial ATA card and install those drives so I could access my data. I believe that is my best option at this point if that is doable.
August 27, 2011 4:16:23 PM

Ok...here is my plan. I am going to get a cheap serial ATA PCI card. Take the 2 drives that have win XP installed on them and instal the PCI card and drives in one of my Ubuntu Machines. (Ubuntu server) Then make the drives read and writable to my network via samba or something. Then I should be able to retrieve my data...or actually just leave it there. As long as I have access to the data it can stay there or burn to DVD.

Anyone see a problem with this? Any comments
a b G Storage
August 27, 2011 5:08:34 PM

Perhpas a external usb enclosure would be a better option, it will be easier to pysically do everythiing. However if its RAID 0 for sure, than the USB option wont work, and probably neither will the sata pci, but Im not sure.

You could try adding a 3rd drive to your main system, boot up, then conect the RAID drives and retrieve the data. Maybe your motherboard is the problem, you gonna have to individually test the components.

Anyways, I hope you understand now the importance of backups. Next time this happens, simply sell your computer and get a new one, and copy back data from backup
!