Sign in with
Your question

Couple of question on completed cpu cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
January 31, 2012 9:03:13 PM

So after some work and time I finally have completed the watercooling and this time no air pockets in pump :D 

2 questions that worry me:

the 45 degree danger fittin or what it's called is bending badly, normally the middle cut part that is supposed to rotate has no space but because of tension in tygon tube between reservoir and pump actually bending it, it looks like it could start to leak any point.

is this something to worry about? pictures can click to get fullsize.

Also here is the final build, in 2-5 weeks I will also watercool my 7970 I also own another used rad it is 360, I'm considering drill out harddrive cage and dremel some dvd cage to have 360 rad in front, or I will get radbox and but it in rear.

a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 9:35:30 AM

Replace both 45-degree fittings with straight fittings. Then use a 'pigtail' in the Tygon tubing to connect the ends to the CPU heatsink block and the pump. Just like the other fittings that are straight.

It is better to do it right now than repair later.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 12:42:52 PM

I guess I don't understand the concern about the 45's...they are meant to angle the fitting and tubing for the placement you need. 45 angles are supposed to look bent...it's an angle?

Maybe I'm missing something here.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 12:59:08 PM

45-degree (and 90-degree) bends will tighten at an angle that may not be suitable for the environment it is in.

There is nothing wrong with the use of bends as long as the tightened position is appropriate. This is rarely the case. This problem is eliminated in straight fittings.

In addition, turning while tightening must be entirely in the same direction; turning in the opposite direction in order to 'align' the fitting is unacceptable!

In any event, a 'pigtail' or similar strain relief must be utilized.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 1, 2012 1:01:13 PM

For what the loop is needing, it appears that he has that in place- 45's angled up and down as needed for the tubing coming in and leaving the reservoir. This would be MORE ideal than having straight fittings on the reservoir as a replacement for these.
February 1, 2012 11:19:39 PM

rubix_1011 said:
For what the loop is needing, it appears that he has that in place- 45's angled up and down as needed for the tubing coming in and leaving the reservoir. This would be MORE ideal than having straight fittings on the reservoir as a replacement for these.

yes I think I understand what you mean, the straight ones add more restriction so I need put pump on higher speed?

As for the bending I don't know what to do, it's a bit unfortunate the PSU is so close incase it starts leaking.
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 3:03:10 AM

I'm confused as well - can't see anything wrong in the pictures. The 45 degree fittings are appropriate in this situation as far as I can see.
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 11:01:56 AM

boiler1990 said:
I'm confused as well - can't see anything wrong in the pictures. The 45 degree fittings are appropriate in this situation as far as I can see.

The bends are appropriate ONLY if they tighten in the correct orientation! This is never the case with threaded fittings.
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 12:38:45 PM

It just looks like the top one on the reservoir is angled a little bit the wrong way, but it doesn't look like it's kinking at all.
!