Graphics sales boom but Nvidia tanking.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
marketing = more important than we enthusiasts think. we know what's going on, that's why we give both sides a fair share (most of the time). most basic consumers look at it as Walmart (ATI) vs American Eagle (NVIDIA) and generalize everything as nvidia being better. its a shame ;(

jennyh

Splendid
Well you know what they say about Rome not being built in a day.

Nvidia are clearly on a pretty fast downward spiral and if there is any justice at all then ATI will pass them in market share Q4. It is amazing though - Nvidia haven't released anything good for what seems like years and yet they still outsell an ATI that has been delivering quality at every price point for almost 18 months now.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Lol i like your enthusiasm but all those graphics chips made by nvidia won't just disappear into no where. ATI passing NVIDIA will require 1. the economy to recover 80% and 2. atleast like 4 years for people to switch to complete new machines

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

i'm no mod but this isn't the place for that...

It serves Nvidia right for their arrogance and short sighted mistakes while ATI stayed with one low cost architecture.
Don't hate on me I use a 780i and have loads of their older cards and even still got a vintage geforce 1 lol. I should hang up my 7900 GTX duo (first GX2) for geek points. :D

Back in the day as the saying goes, IBM was always king of the laptop market because they always made the best laptop on the market. It didn't matter that their middle lines were overpriced compared to their competitors in that niche, the reviewers always gave the "top dog" Editor's Choice rating to the top of the line IBM. And buyers always aspired to "have an IBM" as that was the pinnacle ... they couldn't afford the "top dog" model perhaps but they still bought an IBM that they could afford cause everyone always told them that "IBM was best".

Then IBM decided that they really weren't selling a lot of units in their top of the line and stopped putting effort into producing the "top dog".....soon after, the IBM laptop lost it's luster and soon after we were introduced to Lenovo. I think that there's a mindset among the public and even game developers that whatever ATI does, nVidia is going to top it. In the rare chance that I get to play a game on a PC (usually grabbing one from one of my sons that they're done with), the nVidia logo appears on the box or load screens far more often than ATI.

I think ATI is wasting an opportunity big time right now by not getting the 5870x2 out the door. That "terrible card", the GTX295 still remains the top dog, and ATI now has an opportunity to gain mindshare by getting on top and staying on top as long as they can until when / if nVidia can counter. After months of "the 5870 is gonna kick the 295's butt", it didn't happen....IIRC, the 295 will be a year old just 2 months from now and ATI still hasn't topped it, despite nVidia's production problems and ATI having their DX11 cards out at least 2 months before nVidia can be in a position to counter. ATI finds itself in the same position as AMD with Intel ..... ATI needs to shake their "best value" moniker and grab the "best card" moniker or risk letting that "best value" mindset get further entrenched.

How many athletes can you remember who came in 2nd in the Olympics ? How many people can remember which teams (other than their home teams) lost to the Yankees in the World Series in the last dozen years or so ? In my opinion, w/ the Yankees payroll, they should have to spot the other team 4 runs in every game, but the fact is, to the general public, the "Yankees" are the team most associated with "World Champions". That's because value isn't an issue with mindset, they don't divide the number of runs you score by the team's payroll to see who the winner is.

ATI should do whatever they can to grab that top position before turkey day and try and hold on to it as long as possible. ATI just delivered a haymaker .... it wasn't the big punch it looked like it was gonna be but nVidia's legs are wobbly, ATI needs to go in and try to land the knockout punch while the opportunity presents itself.

MaxTesla

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Mr JackNaylorPE

You made a very nice post and I like it but if I may comment on 2 things.

1 ATI was bought by AMD and is now AMD, this is most noticeable if you also have an AMD processors, there is a program called Fusion that allows you to sync the AMD card and the processor and additional to that the program turns down lots of stuff that windows runs to allow you an even better gaming experience

2 The world is bigger then the US, Europe has a ***** base and so does Chindia, China + India, both of those countries has a middle class larger then the total US population. Yes AMD should launch their card 5870x2 soon but for maximum marketing they should do so closer to new years of Xmas to allow the computers to be given as gifts, but of course the computers with that card pre installed first need the card launched before those computers can be launched, so I believe that there is a possibility that they are having problems with drivers or possibly crossfire configuration or something and that is why they are not launching.

Haha!

Anyway liked your post, it was well written.

Also, get your own apartment that you visit on the weekend a small 2 roomer and in that apartment fill it with all the games you want and a maxed out computer with of course 3 screens in eyeinfinity setup

Look, AMD can make up all the market share they want, but at some point, they need to turn an operating profit for it to mean anything. AMD's "get market share at all cost" will have as much long term success as GM trying to do the same exact thing.

Profit leads to market share, but the reverse is not true.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

nVidia will almost sell more GPUs because there are more uninformed people than informed ones. For example, in my country we have stores that have the new 58xx series in stock but nobody buys them. Not because they are expensive (even the 5870 is cheaper than 285), because all the store reviews for them say Fermi will kick ATIs @@@ or the 285 is faster or ATI sucks in games because all the games are made for nVidia :heink: . And people believe this ####. If you try to give coherent argument you are labeled as a fanboy.
I am sure these types of things happen everywhere. Some people never heard of ATI for example. How stupid is that?

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Yap. That is the sad truth. Most people don't care about extended research before buying a product. They read the information on the package and they are done with it.

I'd be more interested in an article about the discreet graphic card market than one that includes IGP. Nvidia probably has a much larger advantage over ATI than these charts indicate as almost every AMD motherboard has an IGP while almost no one buys Nvidia chipsets any more.